Skip to main content

Say what you mean? Or mean what you say?

I've recently come to wonder about this saying "Say what you mean and mean what you say."  I probably started thinking thoughts slightly along this train back in high school, when I read Orson Scott Card's Ender series.  I believe it was in Xenocide (although I'm not sure) where Valentine has an interaction with a cripple where Card points out Valentine's very compassionate and empathetic value of responding to what people mean to say rather than the actual words they say.  Since that time, that's been one of my goals and I hope that I've made some progress in that area.  I believe it to be good wisdom.

But, it's only been recently that I've started to think that saying what you mean and meaning what you say aren't necessarily the same thing.  (Of course, from a logical perspective, this is immediately obvious since one is the converse of the other, so I should have known all along.)  The fact that they are not equal means that they can be satisfied independently or simultaneously.

The reason I've thought about this recently is because there are many phrases that I've picked up over the course of my life that I now find have placed me in a rather difficult situation.  One such saying is "God bless you."  This can actually be used in a variety of situations and can mean a whole range of things, depending on context.  When someone sneezes, it can be used as some sort of automatic response (usually as the abbreviated "bless you").  I suppose back in the day, it was believed that when you sneezed, your soul left the body, so if someone didn't bless you right away, the devil would take your soul.  I hope no one believes that anymore, but it does beg the question of why we still say it all the time.

But, there are many times when I want to say "God bless you" because it's the sentiment I'm trying to convey.  The problem with this is that I think it's a vacuous statement.  I don't think there is a god to do any blessing, so I don't think that any deity will be influenced (one way or the other) due to me uttering such a statement.  So, if I do say that phrase, it's not because I mean it.  What I mean is something (again, depending on context) along the lines of "You're a wonderful person", "Thank you", "I hope things get better for you" or some other such thing.  However, I'm at a loss as to whether I should actually say what I mean or to say what the other person will interpret as what I mean.  That is, if I'm speaking to a believer (which is to say, just about every person I know) then saying "God bless you" means (to them) what I mean to say to them.  Therefore, I'm not saying what I mean, but they are interpreting what I say as what I mean to say to them.

Another phrase is "I'll keep you in my prayers" (or some other variation).  When someone tells me something unfortunate that has happened in their life, I genuinely feel sorrow and have used this phrase in the past to express what I feel.  However, I really hesitate to say it now because I really truly won't pray for them.  But, at the same time, if I say "I'll pray for you", then they can have the comfort that comes to any believer when they hear that expression from a friend.  So, in this situation, I'm truly at a loss as to what I should say.  Personally, I think prayer is completely futile (having prayed and been prayed for countless times myself) but other people believe it to be helpful.  I want to portray the emotion that I will help out a friend (or family member) in need, but not be misleading or trite in saying that I'll pray for them.

So, there are lots of things that I've been in the habit of saying that I have examined more closely in the last couple months, trying to determine whether I really mean them and whether I should say them despite not meaning them.  I suppose one thing making it so difficult is that religion is so deeply ingrained in English that it's difficult to avoid.  It also makes me wonder what a purely secular language would be like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that