Skip to main content

Forgiving

I can hold a grudge for a while.  Some grudges I've held for several months.  But, even when I have tried to do so, I haven't been able to hold a grudge for over a year.  I just don't have it in me.  I think of myself as a forgiving person.  Perhaps others do not view me as forgiving as I view myself.  But, the truth is that I just don't have the energy or the memory to hold grudges for too long.

Maybe it's not called forgiveness if you simply forget about something that someone did in the past to offend you.  I don't know.  It's probably also required, at least in some cases, to inform the offender that you have finally forgiven them.  I don't think it's any coincidence that forgiving people is one of the 12 steps in AA's famous recovery program.  Forgiving others goes a long way toward personal healing.

I can't speak for others, but I know that for myself, I find that the difficult in forgiving someone is greatest at the time the offense is committed, but decays exponentially as time progresses.  For me, I would say that the half life of the difficult in forgiving varies proportionately with the severity of the offense, ranging anywhere from 1 or 2 hours to perhaps 2 or 3 weeks.   I also find that the more I forgive people, the easier it is to forgive future offenses, and the longer I hold onto grudges the longer I am capable of doing so.

I have definitely been hurt by many of the things people said to me when they first found out that I was gay.  However, I believe I'm over all of that.  I daresay I've forgiven anyone who offended me by anything they've said.

Making up and pressing forward after the forgiving has been done is the next big step--at least in my book.  I feel that in some cases it is appropriate to explain the nature of the offense so as to help the other person avoid repeating it (especially in cases where they were unaware that their behavior was offensive), or at least to lay down ground rules so that both parties have the same understanding.  In the interest of doing just that, I give my own following ground rules.

  1. I will not tolerate name-calling and attacks on my character.  I am a good person, I try to do what is right in everything that I do.  You may disagree with me, but that doesn't make me an idiot.
  2. I will not tolerate religious bullying.  You may have your own religious convictions, but know that I may not share those beliefs.  Don't try to force your morals onto me.  I believe in true freedom of religion.  You're free to believe as you choose, and so am I.  
  3. I will not tolerate emotional manipulation.  Feelings and emotional experiences are very strong and mean a lot to me personally.  Do not try to leverage these experiences and emotions against me to bend my will to your way of thinking.
  4. I will not tolerate violence or threats of violence against me or any other person.  If the only reply you have to give someone is a threat to smack them, then I would suggest that you consider the shortcomings in the logic of your own argument.  
I will continue to publish my own thoughts and feelings, as I have done thus far.  These things may contradict your own beliefs.  They may challenge views that you have.  I would hope that you'd be open-minded and objective enough to listen to someone with a differing perspective, even though you strongly disagree.  However, I understand if you do not feel capable of doing this, or that doing so has no merit for you.  In this case, I would expect you to be respectful of my own beliefs by either remaining silent or expressing your disagreement politely and respectfully.  

I don't expect everyone to like everything that I publish.  I have never had that expectation, and I'm sure that no matter how diplomatic I tried to be, it would never happen.  Therefore, you shouldn't feel any need to express to me your dissatisfaction with what I post.  My posts reflect who I am and I will not change who I am for anyone.  I am always interested in improving myself and becoming a better person, so if you have constructive criticism on how I could word things more respectfully or amiably, then I would be happy to hear such advice.  While I recognize that my content is often offensive, know that my intent is to share my own personal thoughts, never to offend people.  And if I do offend you, I would be interested in being informed of such so that I can have the opportunity to apologize.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that