Skip to main content

Traditional values

So, I just posted a link on my Facebook wall about Romney disrupting a date of a gay couple.  Personally, I think it's rather tacky to go interrupt people's dinners in order to do some campaigning, but this particular one turned out rather unfortunate for Romney because he just happened to choose a gay couple to harass.

But, the point of this post is one quote that Romney said to these men, which is
Actually, I think at the time the Constitution was written marriage was between a man and a woman and I don’t believe the Supreme Court has changed that.
Wow.  Really?  Ok, so let's go by the standard of whatever definitions and standards were back at the time the Constitution was written is what's right and should be adopted today.  So, basically, black people only count as three fifths of a person (Article I Section 2 of the Constitution), women couldn't vote, and black people couldn't marry people of other races.  Maybe I'm just too "progressive", but if you ask me, those don't sound like values we want to be adopting.  So, quite frankly, I don't buy the argument of "That's the way it was back when the Constitution was written, so that's the way it should be now."

I don't think the Framers wanted America and its morals to remain stagnant forever.  I'm pretty sure that's why they allowed provision for amendments to the Constitution.  I don't think they were arrogant enough to think that they had everything figured out and they had achieved perfection in their moral code.  So, I don't see any reason why we should automatically accept the way things were back then as how we should live now.

Sadly, I hear these types of arguments all the time.  People say that the Founders wanted this or believed that.  Well, quite frankly, who cares?  They're all dead.  What matters is what is good for America now, not what was good for it 200 years ago.  What is good for humanity?  How can we progress and become a better species, a better nation, a better society?

What I find most amusing is when people use this argument when it doesn't even apply.  People say the Founders believed this or felt that way, when in fact the opposite was true.  I think we hear all the time how America was founded as a Christian nation.  To people who think that and spread this teaching around, all I have to say is: learn history.

Comments

  1. 2 comments

    Romney use of "EXCLUSION" is very unAmerican

    The Greatest document this Country has is really the first part of the Declaration of Independence. Note how inclusive this document is, but also note, the strong basis of a higher power. That higher power was the basis of all our humanity and our right to fairness and equality.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that