Skip to main content

Loving your children

While I lived at home with my parents, I had much opportunity to witness how my sister treated her children.  She always encourages them in any interest that they have.  Her oldest wanted to play violin, so she found a violin for him and set him up with lessons.  Her youngest wanted to raise some chickens, so she bought some chicks and my dad helped her kids build a coop for the chickens.  She always does what she can to help her children accomplish things that they are interested in.

As I mentioned briefly before, my mom did the same thing with me.  When I was a boy and expressed interest in learning how to crochet, she taught me without hesitation.  She taught me how to sew, iron, and cook.  And, as I recall, it was almost always because I asked her to teach me.  She taught all of us children how to cook, because we each took turns cooking for the family.  But, I know for sure she didn't teach everyone how to crochet (in fact, I don't think she taught anyone except me).

I've been following this blog called Raising my Rainbow for some time now.  The author is a mother with two boys, the younger of which is effeminate. His name is CJ.  He likes girl toys, he asks to have his birthday cakes decorated with Disney princesses, and he even celebrated his 4th birthday with the princesses at Ariel's Grotto in Disneyland.

I admire this woman so much for what she is doing.  So many people try to make their children fit into a mold as they're raising them.  So many parents try to force their boys into the male stereotype and girls into the female stereotype.  (It's not just parents, either.  Friends and other students at school can be very harsh against a "girly" boy.  But that's another topic for another day.)  What's sad is that people such as Dr. Phil and Dean Byrd try to encourage parents to force their children into these narrow gender molds that we have.  Well, I have news for them--some people like tomatoes and some don't.  You don't have to be a boy to like tomatoes and a girl to like mushrooms.  So, why do we insist that only girls can like dolls and only boys can like GI Joes?

I've read stories about boys who were taught that their interest in "girly" things was bad and their parents even instituted a reward/punishment system to encourage him to fit the stereotypical male norm instead.  It is psychologically damaging to the child.  Telling them that the things they find interesting are wrong and that they should find other things to be interesting is not healthy.  So, when someone like Dr. Phil gives advice to that effect, I definitely find that to be disgusting.  Please, whatever you do, don't try to control what your child likes.  Don't try to tell them what they should be playing with or who their heroes should be.  Let them express themselves.  Let them have their own interests.  Love them for who they are.  Don't try to use love as a reason to change them into something they don't want to be.

Comments

  1. I've never seen Dr. Phil do that other than to be wise as far as in avoiding being bullied by not being in your face provocative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can watch the entire show here, if you're interested.
    http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/1138.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that