Skip to main content

The power of love


(Okay, so that's the Seasons of Love, not the Power of Love.  But it's more applicable than the other to this post and so is the title of the post.)

If I have learned anything this year, it's the true power of love.  Love really is the most powerful force I have encountered in all of my interactions with people.  How do you measure a year?  I'm a mathematician.  I measure everything numerically.  But this year has been so much more than just 12 months, much more than just 4 seasons.  This year I have found love.

My life is so much more meaningful with a man by my side to share it with.  Love permeates everything in life.  I make dinner with love for my husband.  I wait eagerly on the couch for him to come home, ready to pounce him with a burst of love.

A lot of unfortunate events have happened this year.  I have lost several friends.  I have hurt many family members.  I have had quarrels and altercations.  I've had a crisis of faith, ending in a complete loss of faith.  But all of that hurt and that pain is washed away with love.  I love my family, and they love me.  I love my friends.  And most importantly, I love my Conrad.

The power of love is so strong that I am certain it will overcome every unfortunate thing that people have said to me concerning homosexuality.  The love that my fiancé and I have for each other will prove all such negativity wrong.  Not because I have a personal need to prove others wrong (which, honestly, I do have), and not because I wish to vindicate myself, but because love endures.  Hate wears out.  Hate gives up.  Hate corrodes and destroys.  It is temporary and will not last.  But love builds.  It strengthens.  It encourages, enlivens, and enlightens.  It endures all things.  Our love will last through any storm.  In many ways we have acted as a shield for each other, blocking out all of the assailants that come our way.

How do I know it's love?  I would do anything for this man.  He means the world to me.  I would stand by his side through any trial or test.  I would endure with him any hardship that he is asked to endure.  And I know that he feels the same toward me.  Each of us is so willing to put the needs of the relationship before our own that we have never had a quarrel.  We have never had a disagreement.  Nothing is more important to us than harmony in our lives.  Neither of us holds an opinion so strong that he attempts to coerce the other into adopting it.  We are one, in virtually every way possible.

And so, I have no doubt that love will win.  Though there may be times that trouble, though there may be people who doubt, love will press on.  Love knows no bounds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that