Skip to main content

Count your many blessings

I want to take a moment to share all of the ways in which I feel truly blessed in my life.  I don't do so in the attempt to make others feel less fortunate, and I hope it does not have that effect on anyone.  In fact, I hope it has the effect of influencing you who read this to examine their your lives and be grateful for the many blessings that you have been given.  Also, I do not feel that I have necessarily done anything spectacular or noteworthy to have qualified for all of these blessings, so I do not mean to give the impression that I am somehow more deserving than others.  Quite the opposite, I feel as though I have a duty to help those who might not be as fortunate, since I have been given so much that I can share with others.  (Because I have been given much, I too must give.)

My job is wonderful.  I love teaching math and I love doing mathematical research.  I enjoy studying, especially math.  It makes me so excited when I'm working with a student, trying to help them understand a difficult concept, and they suddenly have an epiphany which allows them to see what they've been trying so very hard to understand but until that moment were unable to see.  I love seeing the curiosity and ambition in a student's eyes when they start a new semester.  I love making a breakthrough in my research, after weeks or even months of beating my head against the wall.  I find nearly every aspect of my job (except for grading) to be rewarding.  I am truly grateful to have the opportunity to engage in employment that I find so rewarding.

My family is good to me.  My mother calls and emails to make sure that I'm doing ok.  She writes to let me know that she just watched a movie that we used to watch together all the time and how she thought of me as she was watching it.  My dad complains about Nancy Pelosi and talks about how Obama's going to send the nation to hell in a handbasket.  It may not seem all that personal on the surface, but I am touched by the way he shares with me what is important to him.  When he's talking politics or science or family history he's showing me that he loves me by sharing things that are dear to his heart or important to him.  My relationship with each one of my siblings is unique and there is something about each one that endears them to me.  Some of them just want to sit down and have a sincere heart-to-heart conversation.  Others want to joke about how insanely conservative BYU's honor code is.  Some just like texting me funny pictures that they found online somewhere.  But, each of them has their own way of saying "I love you."

Karen's family is also good to me.  Ever since Karen and I became engaged, her parents have treated me like their own son and her siblings like their own brother.  Karen's passing did not affect this relationship, since we all feel that the soul continues on after the grave and thus she is still there waiting for us to join her.  Her family is quite possibly the closest-knit family I have ever seen, each showing love for every other member of the family, treating in-laws (such as myself) no different than those related by birth.  The love and acceptance I have felt from them has been overwhelming.  Even as hard as it has been for them to learn of my sexual orientation and my relationship with Conrad, Karen's parents have still continued to see me as their own son.  They have continued to love me, even when it has been difficult for them because of the sorrow that they feel.  This certainly is true love.

I am also very grateful for Conrad's family.  I was touched by how warmly they have accepted me into their lives.  When I visited Texas for Conrad's older brother's wedding, I was asked to be in the family pictures.  When I went back to Texas to pick up Conrad and move him here to Tennessee, a going-away party was thrown for Conrad, and I sat down to dinner with the whole family.  I was welcomed just as were his brother's wife and his sister's boyfriend.  I am truly grateful for this acceptance.

Yesterday, as rain was pouring down hard all over Eastern Tennessee, I was very grateful to have a roof (albeit, a leaky roof) over my head.  I am grateful for the amenities I have to make my life easier and more comfortable--for my beloved electronic devices, a refrigerator to preserve my food, lights so that I can see even when it's nighttime.  I'm grateful for all of the photographs I have to remind me of all the happy times I have had in my life, all of the memories I have shared with my loved ones--and I'm grateful for the memories themselves.

I am grateful for the freedoms that I have--the freedom to choose my own career, to buy and wear the clothes that I like, to own my own home, to disagree with the government or my friends and family if I don't like the way things are, to read and watch the things that I am interested in, to listen to the music that I like, and so many other freedoms.

And, most of all, I'm grateful for the man who makes everything else worth living for.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful post Keith. It was touching to read about all the things you are grateful for.

    Today I am grateful for you! In reading Karen's journal, I was impressed by how your love for her gave her so much joy, a reason to hope, a reason to live, and how you helped her to grow. I am grateful for the love you gave my sister. It meant everything to her. You mean everything to her.

    I remember a conversation we had around Christmas time before she died. We were talking about Jodi, and she wondered if she (Karen) died how we would all do at remembering you and taking care of you and keeping you involved and a part.

    I don't know how awesome we have been at that, but today I just wanted to let you know of our love for you Keith. I love you as my brother, I love you as our friend. I miss you and all your wonderful tenderness and fun jokes and math/intellectual quizzes. We hope we will get to see you soon. We really missed having you on our Lewis family trips this year and I wish you would have been able to come.

    We love you. Because we love you, we do worry for you and pray for you. Little John reminds me often that we should pray for you and we do. I know we can always use extra prayers for us, and we hope you have felt the blessings of the Lord with you. Thank you for praying for our family too. Like you said in your post - both you and our family are truly blessed.

    I hope today is a beautiful one for you! Love Always - Tanya and Brent and crew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tanya. You're really sweet. I miss you too--you and Brent and all your cute children. We're gonna try to come out this Christmas, but I can't make any promises just yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that