Skip to main content

Authenticity

We spend a great deal of time and energy trying to get other people to fit a mold that we have in our minds.  There is a benefit to conformity--for example, we all conform (more or less) to the rules of the English language in the interest of being able to communicate with each other.  We also (more or less) conform to the laws of our country/state/etc in the interest of avoiding anarchy.  So, there certainly is something to be said for adopting certain societal dictates.  However, I feel that all too often this goes too far into things that ought not to be forced conformities.

I have heard so many stories of gay people who have been pressured into living a straight life--or into attempting to become straight--and it truly saddens my heart.  I sincerely believe that justice will one day be served and all of those who advocate or have ever advocated ex-gay therapy will pay for their sins.  I have seen so many hearts broken, so much self-loathing, and so much suicide because gay people are continually told that they should not be gay but should become straight.  My own fianc√© was subjected to ex-gay therapy from his LDS Family Services therapist.  The things that these poor people are told will help make them straight are absolutely ridiculous.  Conrad was told that watching Smallville was part of what was "keeping" him gay, so he was instructed to get rid of all of the Smallville DVDs that he had purchased.  Obviously, doing so did not make him straight.

Honestly, how many more lives do we need to ruin before we finally understand this issue?  How many people will be asked to avoid eating chocolate or shopping at their favorite store before we finally just let people be who they are?  Do we all need to have the same likes and dislikes?  Would the world be more interesting if everyone was exactly the same?

I'm downright infuriated that our society tolerates such horrible, traumatic organizations to exist.  If I wanted to start a clinic teaching Africans that they should not have black skin and if they avoid eating chocolate their whole lives and pray hard enough God will fix their skin color, what would happen to me?  I would probably be sent to prison for discrimination.  So, why do we tolerate such ridiculous things concerning homosexuality?  These kinds of organizations should be shut down--for emotional torture.  It has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt that ex-gay therapy causes psychological damage.  Why are we still practicing such primitive, destructive things?  God cannot rejoice in such psychological and emotional damage.  He cannot possibly be pleased when he sees us do such terrible things to each other.

I no longer give to society, nor any organization, nor any individual, power over me to tell me who I should be, what I should say, what I should think, and how I should express myself.  I am gay and I am happy being gay.  I have no desire nor any need to be anything aside from gay.  And I present this message to any other gay people out there--especially those who are constantly being told that they should be straight.  Be yourself.  Love yourself.  Even if your family and your church can't love you, love yourself.  You are a beautiful person, just the way you are.  You were not meant to be anything else--you were meant to be you.  You are not your parents, nor are you your church leaders, so you cannot live their life for them, nor let them live your life for you.

I firmly believe that everyone has the right to be with someone that they truly love and who truly loves them.  Asking a gay person to enter a heterosexual marriage is not fair to either partner, since the love will be one-sided (except, I suppose, in the really strange instances when the advocacy is for a gay man to marry a lesbian woman, in which case there is no love).
 

Popular posts from this blog

What's a gainer?

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest reading my previous post before reading this one.  It's sort of an introduction and gives the motivation.  Also, by way of disclosure, this post is not sexually explicit but it does touch on the topic of sexuality and how that relates to the subject at hand.

So, what is a gainer?  I'll relate, as best I can, the experiences I have gone through myself to help answer the question.  I remember when I was a young boy--perhaps around 6 or 7--I would have various fantasies.  Not sexual fantasies, just daydreaming about hypothetical situations that I thought were interesting or entertaining.  I had many different fantasies.  Sometimes I would fantasize about becoming very muscular, sometimes about becoming very fat.  
These fantasies varied in degree of magnitude and the subject of the fantasy.  Sometimes I myself would change weight--I would become muscular or fat.  Other times, I would do something to make other people fat or musc…

The scientific method vs the religious method

I find it interesting when people cite the fact that science keeps changing as a reason to disbelieve it and to believe instead in the "eternal" doctrines taught by some church or other.  Let's examine why science keeps changing.  Here's the scientific method.

Develop a hypothesis (this means "have a belief").Design an experiment to test the hypothesis.Conduct the experiment.Determine whether the hypothesis is believable based on the results of the experiment. This is why science keeps changing--because people notice flaws in it and correct them.  People once thought the solar system was geocentric, but now know that it's heliocentric.  How did this happen?  By using the scientific method.  Scientists are willing to admit that they're wrong.  They're willing to give up a bad idea when they see evidence that it makes no sense.  Contrast this with the religious method (simplified version). Have a belief.Look for evidence to support that belief.Ignor…

Cancel the gym

After I went to the gym this morning, I pulled in to the McDonald's drive through.  While waiting for my food, I played out in my mind a possible conversation I might have with someone concerning just this.  In fact, I have had many real conversations of similar nature.
"How was your morning?"
"It was good.  I went to the gym.  Then I grabbed a late breakfast at McDonald's on my way to work."
"Won't that cancel out?"
"Cancel what?"
"Going to McDonald's after the gym.  Won't that undo all the work you just did?"

I understand the humor.  I laugh about it.  It's funny.  And I think humor is an important thing, and that we should all laugh a little bit more and be offended a little bit less.  And so I write this not up-in-arms, but in the attempts of perhaps reaching some of those who literally believe this line of reasoning.

To the person who asserts that eating "cancels out" going to the gym, I ask just this…