Skip to main content

Do you still love me?

This is the most recent in a series of videos where this innocent, loving man comes out of the closet.  Since he is actively serving in the military, he couldn't come out completely until yesterday, when DADT was finally repealed.  So, all of his previous videos show nothing above his chin, nor does he disclose his identity.  But, as you watch the videos, you can tell how much he really wants to be out--to be honest with people (especially his family, as seen in this video) about these beautiful feelings that he's been having his whole life.

When I watched this video, I couldn't help but cry, seeing how dearly this son loves his father and needs to know that his father loves him too, regardless of his sexual orientation.  You can tell that it's very difficult for him to disclose this information to a man that means so much in his life.  You can see the fear in his eyes, his demeanor, and his voice--the fear of being misunderstood or causing his father to be disappointed in him.  What tender emotions this man feels, and how brave of him to share it with the world.



This is the very reason why I so detest all of the sentiment going around about homosexual behavior (or even homosexual people themselves) being evil.  How can something so beautiful and innocent be evil?  How can something so natural and fulfilling be a bad thing?  And how can people who spread such falsehoods claim to be doing so out of love, and in the name of God?  It is beyond me.

I am so proud of this dad--how gently he handled the situation.  You can tell that this father truly loves his son--not just because he said that his son's sexual orientation had no effect on their relationship, but because he showed that he actually cares about his son's feelings.  He could tell that it was hard for his son to bring this topic up.  He was able to reassure his son that he really does love him, even though he's gay.  It's obvious that what this son really needed was a hug from his father, and it's equally obvious that if the conversation had been done in person rather than over the phone, the hug would have been given and that it would have been sincere and heartfelt.  

When you have a friend, son, cousin, neighbor, sister, etc tell you that they are gay and ask for validation that you still love them the same, be like this man's loving father.  Understand the fear and angst in their heart.  Understand their need to be loved and validated.  You don't have to recite to them your religious convictions.  You don't have to express disappointment in them.  Know that they are just being honest with you and want you to know what is in their heart.  Be gentle and loving in all that you do.

Comments

  1. Yeah, I'm so glad he had a positive experience. Mine was so negative that I still haven't fully recovered.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that