Skip to main content

No regrets, just love

(The only reason I like that song is because when Glee did a cover of it, Blaine sang the lead.)

Since I have come out and started to post many homosexual-related posts here on my blog and links to my blog and other homosexual-related webpages on my Facebook page, I have had many of my friends and family either unfriend me, block me, hide my posts from their newsfeed, or stop following my blog.  Each successive time I have posted a link to my blog on my Facebook account, the number of people who follow the link has steadily decreased ever since the time I announced my sexual orientation.  (Just for the record, almost 700 people have viewed the post where I came out of the closet, which is far higher than I ever thought any of my blog posts would ever get.)  So, naturally, the question I could ask myself (or others could ask of me) is whether I regret this, or whether I view this as an adverse outcome.  To this question, I would reply in the negative.

I do not interpret someone unfriending me on Facebook as an expression that they actually do not want to be friends with me in real life.  I fully understand that they can respect me and be my friend without wanting to read what I post on my wall, or follow what I post here on my blog.  Therefore, I try not to take it personally when my friend count decreases.  (Obviously, the natural reaction is to feel a sense of abandonment, which I admit I feel initially, but I do my best to rationalize that to abandon me is not their intent.)

Also, I have a great deal of empathy for why someone would be affronted--or at least uncomfortable--reading the things I post.  To some people, even the discussion of homosexuality is unpleasant.  There are those who believe it is just as immoral as fornication or adultery, and I can understand why someone would be uncomfortable participating in a discussion that includes a serious consideration of adultery.  Also, many of the things I discuss and bring up are controversial, such as whether homosexual behavior is moral or whether the LDS church is true.  So, I can understand 1) people having their feelings hurt and therefore wishing no longer to subject themselves to posts I make that might offend them and 2) people wanting to just avoid any form of confrontation, not necessarily being personally offended, but wanting to maintain a harmonic atmosphere.  Thus, I see there are reasons why someone would want to avoid such discussion.

Do I, therefore, regret having said the things I have said and by so doing scared off people who might otherwise still remain connected with me?  No.  I have shared the feelings that I have had, I have been sincere in all of my efforts and in my expressions.  If I were to present to the world something other than my own thoughts and feelings I would consider myself inauthentic and authenticity is something for which I strive.  I have not shared anything with the intent to offend or make others uncomfortable.  I have not shared with the intent of provoking anyone to anger.  I have shared merely because I wished to express how I feel personally.  So, I have no regrets.

I love all people, even those with whom I disagree.  I have said it before, and I shall say it again many times, if anyone wishes to be my friend I shall befriend them.  If anyone desires to avoid me because of my boldness in sharing my thoughts and feelings, I pass no judgment.  I do not believe that friends need to agree with each other on every issue.  I do not feel as though people who disagree with me on matters of opinion are wrong, nor that my way of thinking is in any way superior.  I also feel like people should be allowed to openly and objectively discuss their opinions with others, even when it is a controversial matter, and still remain friends with all of those involved in the discussion.  I do not believe that avoiding this topics altogether in the name of harmony is the best solution.  Therefore, I will continue to love in the best way that I know how and I will assume that all those around me are doing the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that