Skip to main content

Is it a choice?

Quite frankly, I spent way too much time and energy worrying about that question--"Is being homosexual a choice?".  But, this does comprise a large portion of the debate of the morality of homosexual behavior. Those who defend the "traditional family" argue that being gay is a choice and therefore those who are gay should simply choose to be straight instead.  Those who are gay, or support gay rights movements, argue that being gay is not a choice and therefore we can't just simply become straight or just start liking people of the opposite sex.  Perhaps one issue that might complicate the matter is bisexual people since they might at one point identify as straight and later as gay, or vice versa.

So, I spent a good portion of my "mormon life" convincing myself that the feelings I had for other men were merely a temptation and that I wasn't technically "gay" unless I yielded to those temptations, since being gay was a choice.  And, around the time I came to terms with my own homosexuality, I spent a great portion of my time trying to prove that my sexual orientation actually isn't a choice, that I was "born this way" and all of the other arguments given.  For the record, I do still believe that I was born gay just as much as any straight person was born straight.  But I don't think it matters anymore.

The question I have to ask is, if two people love each other, what business is it of anyone else's what type of activities they engage in together?  Why does it matter to Christian fundamentalists whether two people of the same sex sleep together in the same bed?  When I was dating Karen, I don't recall anyone having a debate over whether I was genuinely attracted to her due to biological reasons or whether I simply chose to be attracted to her.  I don't recall having been made to feel that I needed to prove that I was incapable of controlling my feelings for her.  (In fact, anyone that saw us together during any point of our pre-marriage courtship would be able to testify very confidently that I was most decidedly in control of my feelings for her and at no point in time let them get the best of me.)  So, why is it that gay people are made to feel that way?  Why does it matter whether these feelings are inborn?  Why does it matter whether they are mutable?  Why does it matter whether it's a choice?

All the time gay people choose to be in straight relationships--I did so myself.  And yet, they are never criticized for this (except for recently, I suppose I should mention that if it is a person who is out and still plans to marry heterosexually then they are likely to be criticized by some in the gay community) because this is believed to be the "right" thing to do.  And yet, the argument of "it's a choice" is what is used to oppose gay relationships.  If loving someone "by choice" is bad, then why is it encouraged in the case where that love is forced (or, at best, simply non-sexual) and discouraged in the case where it is genuine?  This is a double standard.

So, again, I say that if two people are in love they should be allowed to marry.  As far as I am aware, the question of whether the two members of a couple chose to be in love or were in love due to biological factors out of their control was never a criterion to determine their eligibility to marry each other, so why has it become so now?  I love Conrad dearly.  Did I choose to fall in love with him or was I just born predisposed to have fallen in love with him?  My answer is that it doesn't matter in the slightest.  The point is that I love him and he loves me.

Of all of my siblings and Karen's (and, just counting the ones that have been married, that's 16), I have never questioned anyone's choice in spouse.  I did have a strong personality clash with my sister's husband (they have since divorced, so I don't feel so bad about that now) but I never questioned her right to marry him.  I never asked any of these people whether they loved this person that they chose to spend the remainder of their life with nor, more particularly, whether that love was genuine due to their biological nature or superficial due to some immoral choice they had made.  So, I have come to the conclusion that asking the same question to someone who decides to enter a same-sex marriage is equally inappropriate and irrelevant.

Comments

  1. Gay individuals who are "out" and still plan to marry heterosexually, that is to live as a stright person are infact questioned and at times mocked by both sides. Gays see them as sellouts and many heterosexuals see them as kidding themselves and question the heterosexual who intends to marry them as crazy. As a bisexual myself I have the choice to live as I want (just like everyone) the difference is I am attracted to both genders. If you were to marry a women would you not still long for male companionship? I am a heterosexually married bisexual male and I still frequently long for male companionship. Either way I've made my choice. We will probably never know why people are GLB or straight. We still have agency to choose how we live. Sadly, there is no easy road for those of us that aren't completely straight.

    Keep writing. I find your blog interesting.

    jetlagak@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that