Skip to main content

Liberty and justice for all

Humans are rather complicated beings.  It seems that we don't even understand ourselves very well.  It's a good thing we've had thousands of years to try to figure ourselves out, and I'm sure we'll need thousands more years before we finally get it right.  But, it is very encouraging when we see society take a step in the direction toward mutual understanding and respect.

At the time our nation declared its independence from the British crown, part of that declaration was that "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." However, at the same time, they didn't actually treat all humans equal (in fact, the word "men" might even have been interpreted to mean only males, since women weren't even treated equally).  There were people who were treated as property instead of people.  So, although the statement was bold and the sentiment poignant, they were still quite a long way away from actually behaving as though all people were created equal.

Fortunately, over time, we saw the evolution of society as it eventually allowed people to be granted the same rights and the same freedom, regardless of race.  It would be nice to say that racism is a thing of the past (at least in the USA), but I'm not quite that naive.  Sadly, there still are people that hang on to the false traditions of the fathers in hating someone simply because of the color of their skin or the nationality of their ancestors.  But, for the most part, "civilized society" is not racist.  This is wonderful.

We are currently in another social revolution--that of equal treatment for homosexual people.  For nearly 20 years, someone who was openly gay was not allowed to serve in the US military.  During this time, over 13,000 members of the military were discharged for being gay.  I actually find this quite ironic because enrollment in the selective service system is mandatory for all males from 18-25, potentially requiring them to join the military, even against their own will.  (In fact, I suppose, until DADT was repealed today, someone could get out of this requirement by simply claiming to be homosexual.)  At any rate, there were at least 13,000 men and women who wanted to serve their country, wanted to participate in the military, and were denied that opportunity simply because they were born attracted to members of the same sex rather than members of the opposite sex.

In the past, things much worse than being discharged from military service happened to gay people, but that's another story for another day.  The point is that society is evolving--we are becoming more civilized toward each other.  Gay people are becoming viewed as more equal and less dangerous than they have been in the past.  As of today, gay people are now allowed to serve in the US military.  I can't say I would blame any gay person for not wanting to serve, after having been told they can't for so long, but I applaud the government for finally lifting the ban and taking one more step toward true equality for people regardless of sexual orientation.

I believe that all men (and women) truly are created equal and that everyone does have the right to liberty and to pursue happiness.  I look forward to a day when society itself will agree with this noble statement.  It is heartening to me to see that we are moving in the right direction.  I foresee a day when people all over will be allowed to marry the person of their choice; when families will not be attacked simply because they have the wrong set of parents; when support, love, and concern win out over prejudice, misunderstanding, and bigotry.  I foresee a day when people will be content to "live and let live"--not to dictate to other people how they should live their life, but to let others have their own opinion, their own beliefs, and grant them the freedom to live according to the dictates of their own conscience.  I look forward to an America that, as our pledge of allegiance states, grants liberty and justice for all.

Comments

  1. I'm looking forward to that day too. Let us all work together to strive for that goal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that