Skip to main content

Anger

(As a side note, I have just passed 100k total views.  Thanks to all of my readers.)

One of the things that my mom taught me was that if I have a problem with one person, it may just be that other person, but if I have the same problem with many people, the problem is probably me.  I suppose an example to illustrate the idea is a person who marries many times.  When someone divorces and remarries, it may well be that the first spouse was abusive or unreasonable or something like that.  But if someone divorces and remarries 10 or more times, it may just be the case that that person is the one who is hard to get along with.

So, I have come to a perplexing spot.  I have had multiple people tell me that I have become an angry person--that I was once more pleasant to be with than I am now.  Since I have been told this by so many people, to be rational, I must assume that there is truth in this claim.  But the problem is that I don't feel like an angry person.

I don't think I'm angry very much at all.  When I teach class, I am very happy.  I love teaching my students.  And I think that most of them can see that.  Sure, sometimes I'm tired or bored or something and I don't show the level of excitement that I would like to, but for the most part, I think I'm a rather cheerful teacher.

When I'm at home with Conrad, I'm very happy.  I tell him multiple times per day how happy he makes me.  I stroke his cheek and cuddle with him and he makes me smile.  I love my home life.  It isn't perfect.  We don't wash all the dishes every day and we don't fold the laundry as soon as it come out of the dryer, but we are very happy together.

Many times, such as today, I'll be walking or driving along and have a sudden rush of happiness for no apparent reason at all.  I just start smiling and feeling good.  Many times when I feel this way, I post about it on Facebook to share the sunshine with others.

When I'm scrolling through my news feed on Facebook, many times I like to look for things to "like".  In fact, I often click "like" on a dozen posts all in a row.  I just scroll through and look for things to like.  And when I find something that I really like, sometimes I'll go to that person's wall and look for other things to like.  I feel like I'm spreading cheer by liking all of these posts, even if it is a tiny gesture.

When I hang out with friends, I think I'm a rather pleasant fellow to be with.  I try to find commonalities with other people, I try to talk about things that I know they're interested in.  I try to remember things about people and ask them about it--about their career or hobbies or things.  I like telling people how much I admire them, how cool I think they are, or whatever quality I find admirable about them.  I don't do this as much as I would like to, but I think I do a decent job at it.

But I know that the human psyche makes it very difficult or even impossible to perceive oneself with complete accuracy.  (For example, when I'm not looking in a mirror or feeling my body with my hands, I don't think of myself as fat, I think of myself as I always was, even when I was skinny.)  So, I must--if I wish to be rational and objective--open myself to the idea that I may just be more angry or unpleasant than I view myself to be.   I may just be more cantankerous or less kind than I think of myself as being.

I want to ask for your perspective.  I want to know how other people feel about this question.  But perhaps asking for it isn't the best route after all.  I don't know.  Suppose that I actually am more ornery than I once was.  Then pointing that out to me may elicit anger in me, triggering a very unpleasant response from me.  That is something I would wish to avoid.  But if I am seen as an angry person--or, at least angrier than I view myself--I would like to know it, and I would like to remedy it.

There certainly are many things in my past that would cause me to be angry.  However, I think that what would be best is for me to learn from all of the hurt that has been caused to me and how unpleasant it was for me to feel that way and therefore refrain from doing things which hurt other people in similar ways.  Turning hurt and anger into a weapon to use against other people perpetuates the cycle of hurt, which leads to a less pleasant world to live in.  Turning the hurt into compassion for others who have experienced similar hurt seems like the optimal way to create a more pleasant society.  This is what I wish to do.

Comments

  1. I think the easiest way to see this would be to do a word cloud of this blog. You said: teaching makes you happy but you don't blog about that. You said you home life with Conrad is happy but you don't blog a lot about that either. You said you like sharing sunshine with others on Facebook makes you happy but I don't see many reports of the sunshine.

    I think if you did a word cloud you would find most of the terms are things that do not make you happy. And since the word cloud more then anything shows what people associate with Keith Penrod (since that is the only public data to go off of), it is very easy to think: since he spends most of his time blogging about things that make him unhappy he must be an angry person. If most things in his life made him happy then proportionally most blog posts would probably highlight these things.

    Anyways, I know you are a great person. I knew you personally for years. But I also know the word cloud of the blog would not be filled with words like sunshine and happiness so it would be hard for someone to know otherwise. Just my observation. A word cloud would tell all about what the data is suggesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certainly is an objective yardstick. It's interesting that you say that I don't blog about teaching often because I feel that I actually do blog about it quite a bit. Anyway, you now have a screenshot of the word cloud I did.

      One thing that I would like to point out, though, is that some (not all) of the people who have said I'm now an angry person are people I interact with in person, not just people that I interact with through the Internet. So they have more than just my blog and my Facebook wall to go off of. So, I don't know if that explanation is quite sufficient, although it certainly does give one plausible partial answer.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Keith. Thanks for doing this test. I wish you the best.

      Delete
  2. I mean: a word cloud would be more then anything tell you what people associate with Keith Penrod since that is all they know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Congratulations to getting 100K views. You deserve it as you put in a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that