Skip to main content

I have been changed for good


Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun,
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood.
Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

I have listened to this song many times over the last couple years.  But as I was driving in the car yesterday with Conrad and listening to this, I thought of it in the context of the LDS church.  

I cannot say whether being a Mormon for the first 27 years of my life made me better--that cannot be truly known, and is quite subjective--but I can say that I have been molded by it, that I have been “changed for good”.  I would like to list several things that I have learned from the LDS church.  Some of these things are church doctrine, some I learned from positive examples I witnessed in the church, and some are negative examples (observing behavior exhibiting what not to do).

  1. Love.  Love everyone.  Love your family.  Love your friends.  Love your enemies.  Love people who need it the most.  Love those who lash out in anger due to hurt they feel inside.  Love those who offend you and say unkind things about you.  Disarm people with love.  Heal people with love.  
  2. Show concern.  Ask people how they are doing.  Listen for the response.  See what you can do to help them.  Visit your friends and show an active effort to be a positive influence on their lives.  
  3. Withhold judgement.  There are people who will hurt you.  There are people who will betray you.  But do not expect it of em.  Do not punish someone for an offense ey has not yet committed.  
  4. Be equitable.  Treat people with kindness in spite of any personal disapproval you may feel.  Accept those who are different and who think differently than you.  Do not alienate someone for something which is beyond eir control.  

And, of course, on a lighter note,
  1. Carrots do not belong in Jello.
  2. Jello goes with anything.
  3. Be related to someone on the Ward Council so you can play ball in the church’s gym any time you want.
  4. There are dozens of different ways to cook potatoes and cheese together.
  5. Ham.
  6. It is possible to throw a nice wedding reception with a double-digit budget.
  7. There is an inverse relation between the length of a meeting and its effectiveness.
  8. If your middle initial doesn’t go well with your first name, have a middle name which goes well with your first initial.
  9. Put the trash can under the sink.
  10. Ham.

Popular posts from this blog

What's a gainer?

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest reading my previous post before reading this one.  It's sort of an introduction and gives the motivation.  Also, by way of disclosure, this post is not sexually explicit but it does touch on the topic of sexuality and how that relates to the subject at hand.

So, what is a gainer?  I'll relate, as best I can, the experiences I have gone through myself to help answer the question.  I remember when I was a young boy--perhaps around 6 or 7--I would have various fantasies.  Not sexual fantasies, just daydreaming about hypothetical situations that I thought were interesting or entertaining.  I had many different fantasies.  Sometimes I would fantasize about becoming very muscular, sometimes about becoming very fat.  
These fantasies varied in degree of magnitude and the subject of the fantasy.  Sometimes I myself would change weight--I would become muscular or fat.  Other times, I would do something to make other people fat or musc…

The scientific method vs the religious method

I find it interesting when people cite the fact that science keeps changing as a reason to disbelieve it and to believe instead in the "eternal" doctrines taught by some church or other.  Let's examine why science keeps changing.  Here's the scientific method.

Develop a hypothesis (this means "have a belief").Design an experiment to test the hypothesis.Conduct the experiment.Determine whether the hypothesis is believable based on the results of the experiment. This is why science keeps changing--because people notice flaws in it and correct them.  People once thought the solar system was geocentric, but now know that it's heliocentric.  How did this happen?  By using the scientific method.  Scientists are willing to admit that they're wrong.  They're willing to give up a bad idea when they see evidence that it makes no sense.  Contrast this with the religious method (simplified version). Have a belief.Look for evidence to support that belief.Ignor…

Cancel the gym

After I went to the gym this morning, I pulled in to the McDonald's drive through.  While waiting for my food, I played out in my mind a possible conversation I might have with someone concerning just this.  In fact, I have had many real conversations of similar nature.
"How was your morning?"
"It was good.  I went to the gym.  Then I grabbed a late breakfast at McDonald's on my way to work."
"Won't that cancel out?"
"Cancel what?"
"Going to McDonald's after the gym.  Won't that undo all the work you just did?"

I understand the humor.  I laugh about it.  It's funny.  And I think humor is an important thing, and that we should all laugh a little bit more and be offended a little bit less.  And so I write this not up-in-arms, but in the attempts of perhaps reaching some of those who literally believe this line of reasoning.

To the person who asserts that eating "cancels out" going to the gym, I ask just this…