Skip to main content

Make me a rib

It's no wonder that the three big monotheistic religions are misogynistic when they all believe that the first woman was created not the same way as the first man, but actually from the first man's rib.  That her whole existence is to be a "helpmeet" for him.  That without him, she wouldn't even exist.

A huge first happened two days ago.  The LDS church has had a semi-annual conference ever since it was first formed in 1830.  From that time until October of last year, every prayer offered in every sessions of every conference was given by a man.  This past Saturday was the first exception.  For the first time in the history of General Conference, a woman prayed.  I have several liberal Mormon friends who were very excited about this.  It got me thinking.  Why is a woman praying in the year 2013 so exciting?  

The history of religion is dirtied with a litany of abuses against women.  Many churches, including the LDS church, currently teach that women should not enter the workforce, that they should remain in the home and be full-time mothers.  Jews used to teach that women were property, that marriage was a business transaction between a groom and the bride's father.  

The first woman ordained as a bishop in the Church of England was in 1989.  That's in my lifetime.  Many churches, including the Catholic church and the Mormon church, still do not ordain women to the priesthood.  Interestingly, Jehovah's Witnesses consider someone to be an ordained minister upon being baptized.  Thus, every baptized member is ordained to the priesthood, including the female ones.

The LDS church actually had a ban on women praying during its weekly meetings, which it calls "sacrament meetings".  A bulletin was printed in 1967 stating that only priesthood holders (which can only be boys and men) should be allowed to pray in the meetings.  As far as I know, this policy was in place until 1978.  

Why is it that women are oppressed?  Why is it that they're pushed to the side or treated like property?  Why do the women themselves so often accept the place they have been put in by the men ruling over them?  Really, the only thing I can think of is the pre-historic and barbaric fact that men are physically stronger and bigger than women and therefore can exert their will over them with brute force (and I personally know a couple women who were in abusive relationships and this is literally what happened to them).  

In the LDS temple ceremony, the first covenant (promise) which is made is that of obedience.  Every other covenant made in the temple endowment ceremony is the same for men as it is for women.  But for the first one--for the "Law of Obedience", there is a difference.  The men in the room promise to obey God and God's law.  The women in the room promise to obey God, but they also promise to obey their husbands.  This is misogyny.  

Let us be rational.  Let us end the needless oppression of women.  Let us treat all people equitably.  Let us cast aside all these silly beliefs that a woman can only have a fulfilling life if she belongs to a man.  Let people decide what to do with their own lives.  Let women work, if they want.  Let them pray, if they want.  Let them be priests, if they want.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that