Skip to main content

Reaching out

There are many things that happen in my life which humble me.  Today such a thing happened.  But before I describe the event, let me offer some background.

I have a student this semester who is brilliant in mathematics.  In many way, he reminds me of myself.  He is very outspoken in class, never afraid to give an answer, almost always right.  After the first day of class, he walked with me and we chatted for a bit.  He told me about how much he loved  math and all of the things he had learned in high school.  I was impressed.  And I felt that we would become good friends over the semester.

I actually felt many times that I should reach out to him.  He seemed to be very bored in class.   As far as I could tell, he already knew the material.  I thought about talking to him but I was never sure exactly what to say or how to reach out.  In hindsight, I suppose I could have offered something outside of class to challenge him more than he was being challenged in class, and to offer some more learning opportunity than he was getting.  

This guy has probably been my favorite student in all my years of teaching.  I'll have some students who show more love of learning and more enthusiasm for math than the average student, but none quite so much as this student.  He loves learning.  He loves logic.  And it was so refreshing to see that. 

When I graded his most recent test, I was very critical.  My goal was to push him beyond his current performance and toward perfection.  I wasn't mean.  I grade his paper unreasonably, but very critically. There was one thing in particular which really frustrated him.  He asked me about it when I handed the tests back at the beginning of class.  I told him why I docked points.  He was upset by it.  He stayed after class to talk to me about it.  I knew that one point on his test was not enough to make him that angry, so I pressed him.  

I was honored by what happened.  He related to me his feelings and the stresses in his life.  He broke down and cried.  His best friend's birthday was just the other day, but this friend passed away back in October.  His roommate is black and has sadly been the object of racism.  There were so many things that have been going on in his life that have all been building up.  And he related all of it to me.  I didn't know how to react.  I wasn't sure if I did it properly.  But I listened to him, let him speak at his own pace, and voiced the empathy that I felt for him.  

I want to make a difference in people's lives.  As a teacher, I have the opportunity to be a mentor.  I have the opportunity to pave the way.  I want to make a difference in my students' lives.  I want them to be better because they had me as a teacher.  

I don't always know how to make a positive impact.  I don't know what is the best way to touch the lives of others for good.  But I believe that in this case, I did a good thing.  Perhaps it was overly harsh of me to grade this man's paper the harsh way in which I graded it.  But I believe that it was the straw that broke the camel's back--the catalyst that tore down his walls of defense and allowed him to open up to me.  I felt privileged to have him relate to me what he had been going through.  I hope that the discussion was beneficial to him and helped relieve, even in the least amount, the negative emotions he has been feeling.  I also hope that I live my life in such a way that people trust me and feel safe in confiding in me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that