Skip to main content

Santa Claus

Santa Claus is a cute little fairy tale for children to believe in.  It's a good way for parents to persuade their children to behave, at least around Christmas time (although, I have to admit I've pulled the Santa card on some kids even in June and it worked).  I have some siblings who do the whole Santa thing and their kids get so much into it, it's adorable to watch.  I have some other siblings who believe in being honest with their children, so they tell them that Santa is just a symbol of kindness and selfless giving, but doesn't really exist.  They also tell their children that some children do believe in Santa and that they shouldn't try to persuade them otherwise--that it should be up to their parents to break the news to them.

My sister tells a story about one of her friends still believing in Santa in middle school.  It was a rather embarrassing situation.  The girl got angry and said "my dad wouldn't lie to me" and refused to believe the truth.  Quite honestly, I think that middle school is probably a bit too old for people to believe in Santa.  (I would also think that they'd have figured it out somehow by that time, even if no one told them.)  Be that as it may, the point is that some learn sooner than others about this sad truth.

For some, the news of Santa's non-existence is inconsequential.  They realize that the presents come from their parents rather than the North Pole, but they still get presents.  For others, the news can be a bit sad, but they eventually move on.  And for some, this news can be rather disheartening or even traumatic.  I know I have seen more than one Christmas movie where there was a "bad guy" who was really just hurt because some time when they were really young Santa didn't bring them what they wanted for Christmas, so they stopped believing.  I hope that there really aren't any adults out there who hold such a grudge against Santa, but I can see that some people would begin to be skeptic after having made such a realization.  I can also see how it would be difficult for a child to trust his/her parents after realizing that they were dishonest about something such as Santa.

And so, if you haven't already guessed, it is time for me to say that this post isn't really about Santa Claus. It is about the Santa-for-grownups that we call God.  Unlike Santa, many believe in him their whole lives.  Many dedicate their lives to him.  People believe in varying degrees of sincerity and devotion--some only tangentially believe, some believe whole-heartedly.  Some people call God by different names, or they have different manifestations.  The Greeks and Romans believed in many different gods, as did other cultures.  Many times, these gods were endowed with human-like traits in either appearance or personality, and other times they were slightly modified, maybe with the head of some animal.  Some cultures worshipped natural phenomena, such as the Sun or mountains.  There have been many different deific creations by men.  Strangely enough, the human tendency to assume that oneself is right and others are wrong seems to be amplified by religious belief.  The Spanish Inquisition and the Crusades are examples of this.  The Framers of the US Constitution had grown so weary of having their religion dictated to them that they made certain a stipulation was put in that august document explicitly forbidding the federal government from engaging in similar behavior.  People were to be allowed to believe as they wish, not have their beliefs dictated to them.

Since virtually every child eventually learns the truth about Santa, but not every adult learns the truth about God, it is difficult to describe the parallels in reaction.  However, from what I have seen, the reactions have been just as varied with adults as with children.  There are some people who refuse to believe the information, even when confronted with it.  There are others who simply find the news inconsequential and move on with their lives.  And there are those who become bitter and feel betrayed by those they trusted who taught them that God was in fact real.

Now, I perceive that some people will challenge me and say that I cannot assert that there is no God since I cannot prove his non-existence.  That I cannot prove incontrovertibly that he doesn't exist, I do not refute.  However, I reject the premise that the burden of proof lies on me.  Rather, if you are to assert that God does exist, the burden of proof lies on you.  You must come up with evidence that, beyond reasonable doubt, proves that there is such a being.  If you have no such evidence and tell me that I must simply accept such a thing on faith, then I submit to you that your assertion should not be that God exists, but only that you believe that God exists, since that is what faith is.

I could pose to you the same argument concerning Santa Claus: you cannot assert that he doesn't exist because you have no proof that he doesn't.  You may say, well people have been to the North Pole and have seen no signs of Santa's workshop.  To which I would reply that Santa might have a magical enchantment cast over his workshop that makes it invisible to the human eye.  You might tell me that it would be physically impossible for Santa to visit the house of each child and climb down their chimney (even though most people don't even have chimneys anymore).  I believe I saw a document on this somewhere, written by some physics student no doubt, that said that Santa would literally burn to a crisp if he traveled fast enough to visit each Christian household all in one 48-hour period (he technically has two days, because of time zones).  To which I would reply that he might have some kind of magic to slow time down, so he really has years to deliver all the toys, even though to us it seems as though it only takes one night.  And the arguments go on and on.  So, to each of your attempts to prove Santa's non-existence, I could offer some "believer's rebuttal" and tell you that you just need to have more faith in Santa (otherwise you may not get any toys this year).  I find the argument against atheism equally unconvincing.

I also find the parallels of behavior control to be amusing.  Parents tell children that if they misbehave then Santa will not bring any toys for them.  Church leaders tell their congregations that if they misbehave they won't be able to make it into heaven (or, if you're Mormon, then you have multiple heavens, so you'll just not make it into the highest one).  Rewards are offered for those who do desired behaviors (if you are a "good boy" or "good girl" then you get toys, or if you pay your tithing, then God will bless you) and punishments are offered for those who do undesired behaviors (you get a lump of coal if you're "naughty", or you go to hell if you sin).

So, you may ask, do I have any morals at all?  I don't need to believe in God in order to believe in right and wrong.  I can believe in good and evil without believing in a supreme being who watches the actions of all people and will at some undetermined point in the future exact justice upon all based on those actions.  I believe that there is much truth to be found in the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the words of church leaders worldwide of all kinds of religions, but also in secular books--science, math, psychology, literature, and even fiction (of course, I would lump scripture in with works of fiction).  I believe that it is good to love others, to treat them well, and be kind.  I believe it is good to serve others, to do random acts that will lift another person's spirits.  I believe that it is bad to kill, to steal, to lie, to cheat, to bully.  I believe that our system of government should reflect these morals--that each citizen has the right (and the obligation) to effect change in the government whenever corruption is found or justice is lacking.

From what I have experienced, there are more genuinely kind people among atheists than among religious people.  Yes, there are Christians who do good simply to do good, but there are also those who do good because they are enticed by the rewards their religion teaches them are available.  An atheist has no such motivation, since they are not superstitious.  They do good because they are intrinsically motivated by their conscience to do so.  Again, I'm speaking in generalities no absolutes.  There are cruel, vindictive and hateful atheists, just as there are Mother Theresa--saintlike religious people (of all religions).  But the point is that you don't have to believe in God to be good.  Everyone has a conscience (call it the light of Christ, if you like) to tell them right from wrong, whether they believe in a mysterious supernatural being or not.

If you choose to believe in God, that's fine.  As I said before, I feel no need to dispute your belief nor attempt to prove that God does not exist.  I have no motivation to recruit people to my philosophy, other than the built-in human instinct to want others to agree with me.  I present my beliefs for the world to see. I made a decision this year that has greatly benefited me.  I finally decided that I would no longer hide anything.  I will no longer hide the fact that I am attracted to men, as I have done my whole life.  I will no longer hide my feelings.  If it offends other people, I am truly sorry for the offense, but not for the authenticity exhibited by my expression of those emotions.

Comments

  1. I suppose that you have to decide what The Bible is - is there any historical accuracy to it, or is simply a collection of made-up stories that are supposed to provide a moral basis to life. Did Jesus exist as a human being here on earth? Did he lie? Did all/some/any of the stories in the Bible actually happen? These are tough questions to answer, and Biblical scholars probably have a better view of the landscape regarding answers to these questions than us.


    You're right, nobody can `prove' God exists or doesn't exist, since the type of evidence that you would look for (in either direction) doesn't exist. And you're completely right that you don't need to believe in God to have morals/right and wrong, and in that even if you do believe in God, you probably royally screw up (see Luther, M.).

    Personally, I'm truly sorry to see that something has made you reject God's existence. It may not mean much to you at this point, but I believe that God still loves you deeply and smiles at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing happened to me that made me reject God's existence. I merely concluded that, after having pondered the question and having done some research concerning what makes people believe in religions, and in the history of religion. I'm sure the Greeks were no less certain that their gods were real than Christians are now that theirs is. And yet, not a single person I'm aware of would now consider Greek mythology to be a viable religion (hence the reason why it's called "mythology", indicating that it is fiction).

    Concerning your questions about the Bible, I would have to say that a large part of it is made up. The book of Job, for example, seems to be a parable. An omniscient and omnipotent god would not feel that he had to prove himself to the devil. The life of Jesus, as described in the Bible, is most likely exaggerated. Whether there was a person by the name of Jesus, or more appropriately, Yeshua, I wouldn't know, not having studied enough to decide. But, whether all of the things that the Bible says happened to him actually happened, I am greatly skeptical. I have already said that I do not believe the Bible is all false. Even in works of fiction there is some truth.

    But, to be honest, even in the days when I was a faithful Mormon I never believed that the whole Bible was the word of God. There are just so many parts of it that are completely absurd, gruesome, gory, and wholly irrelevant to my spirituality. So, it is not difficult for me to deny the words of the Bible. It was more difficult for me to depart from belief in the Book of Mormon, but as soon as I realized all of the anachronisms in it, the grammatical errors and other changes that that have been edited over the years from version to version of the book, and the very fact that Joseph Smith wasn't even looking at the gold plates while he allegedly translated the book have made it very easy for me to conclude that it is not what the LDS church says it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You better be good because [God|Santa Claus] is watching, and if you're bad you'll [go to Hell|get coal in your stocking]. If you're good, you'll [go to Heaven|get presents]."

    God is just Santa Claus for adults.
    (darn Blogger removes angle brackets)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it interprets them as HTML tags, so you have to use the escape sequence. (they're < and > if you're curious)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Microscopically deep entry, Keith

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that