Skip to main content

Memories


I have photographs all over my house.  I think most people do.  As I was looking at them, I started thinking about why we have photographs.  We say things such as "a picture says a thousand words", and it's so true.  For me, I think the main reason why I like pictures is because of all of the memories that they cause me to recall when I look at them.  In a way, it's even as if the memories are stored in the picture and viewing the picture brings them all flooding back.  I look at the wedding picture I have on my wall and I recall the day that I married Karen.  Such a happy day, so many mixed emotions.  I was scared, I was elated, I was angry (at really minor things, to be quite honest), I felt so many things.  I even remember feeling as though everything were surreal "Am I really married now?  I really do have a wife?"

I look at photos of Karen playing with her nieces and nephews, of the whole family altogether, of many different things, and I have all these memories rush back in.  It feels wonderful.  So, I wanted to dedicate a post to the memory of dear, late wife.

Those of you who knew Karen loved her very much.  I am unaware of one single person who knew her and didn't like her.  I can't say I even ever heard anyone complain about her or gossip about her (even before we got married).  Those of you who did not know her probably think I'm making all of this up, and that it's too much like a fairy tale to be true.  But, if you want verification, just go ahead and ask anyone that ever met her.

She was the sweetest woman I have ever met.  She never said any unkind toward or about another person.  I never heard her gossip, backbite, or betray anyone.  On the contrary, anytime she was around someone who was gossipping, she would have something nice to say about the person being discussed, and she said it in such a way that it usually ended the gossip.

She was the hardest working person--male or female--that I've ever met.  While she was attending college, she invariably took over 20 credit hours per semester, including countless hours of trombone lessons and individual practice.  When she graduated, she always had a full-time job and when she came home from work, she'd get right to household chores, including all of the many remodeling projects we did on our own home.  The thing that you need to realize is that this whole time she's fighting a battle with cancer.  I have known many cancer patients over the years, and the cancer itself and all of the treatment that those patients have to undergo is quite taxing on their bodies.  In most cases, when it is a rigorous treatment (such as those Karen underwent), the patient is bedridden for some time--or at least unable to leave home or the hospital.  There were only a few short periods of time when Karen would stay home, though.  She made it a point to attend every week of church, to go to work unless she literally couldn't stand up, etc.  I remember at least a couple occasions when she would go to work and someone at work would tell her that she had to go home because she was too sick to be there.  She was definitely a worker bee.  I had a difficult time keeping up with her.  She'd be willing to stay up until late hours at night sanding the floor, painting the walls, scrubbing the paint off the floor, washing dishes, doing laundry, etc just because the work had to be done and she didn't want to go to bed until it was done.

She was a very educated woman.  She always wanted to learn.  She would check out scores from the music library at my college so that she could practice conducting, since it was always her dream to be a band director.  She attended summer workshops aimed at helping her improve her teaching methods.  The last workshop she attended was only a couple weeks before she passed away.  Even though she was confined to a wheelchair, unable to walk long distances on her own, she was dedicated to attending.  I went with her to this workshop, to push her around in her wheelchair.  It was a lot of work.  It was about 8 hours every day for two weeks, and lots of homework was assigned every night.  I could barely keep up and I wasn't even participating in any of the learning.

She was always trying to improve herself in every way.  She was humble.  She never assumed herself better or smarter than anyone else.  She was full of compassion, that she showered on everyone she knew.

Now that I've made it seem as though such an amazing woman could never really exist (although I'm guilty of hyperbole, this is one time that I'm 100% accurate), let me return to my original topic of memories.  Why are memories so important to us?  Why is it that we hold on to memories so much, build scrapbooks, write journals and biographies?  A memory is something that can last long beyond the time of the event, thing, or person contained in it.  In a sense, it lends immortality to a person by remembering them forever.

Whether Karen still lives on in some form or another, the important thing is that we remember her.  She lives in the memories of those who knew her, those whose lives she touched.  We can all be better people for having known her, and we can teach those who come after us about the wonderful person that she was and how we can try to be more like that.

I think this is one of the reasons why the concept of an afterlife is so appealing to us.  We see that immortality is virtually possible by living on in the memories of those we leave behind.  But, perhaps we want something more tangible.  We want to be assured that we will continue to exist, that we will ourselves be immortal.  This is a very enticing thought indeed.

Go out and make some happy memories.  Be alive, be vibrant, live while the day lasts.  Live so that those who do remember you will enjoy those memories and hold on to them dearly, as I hold on to the memories of my lovely bride.

Comments

  1. Yes, 100% accurate. The greatest woman I know, except of course, my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Karen was one of the greatest persons I have ever known. You really married an amazing person who deserves to be praised in the highest regard on multiple levels as you have. She was always inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Karen too and I second ever description of her you shared - she really is that wonderful, hardworking, fun, looking for the good, speaking up in defense of others, wonderful listener, kind, and more! I never have met anyone who didn't like her either. She is one special girl. I want to get the book of Karen finished for Christmas because I need to remember her more. It makes me smile to look at her sweet photos and happy smiles - and I know that you are the person who brought to her the greatest joys, the greatest fun, the greatest love, and brought out the greatest strength in her. You two are a beautiful team. Thank you for doing that for her Keith. Your love gave her the will to live and enjoy the last few years of her life. That was a blessing for all of us.

    In quiet moments I have felt her close. Quiet nudges, gentle encouragement. It is real. I know Karen is so close to us and to you. She is cheering us on from the other side - to a life that is truly reality, a life that is eternal, a life that awaits each of us. This life is but a small moment. I am so grateful for the millions of wonderful moments and memories. Thank you for bringing back so many for me! We love you Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so sweet, Tanya. Thanks.

    And thanks to Lisa and Joe too, for backing up my claims.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that