Skip to main content

Coming out day

So, since 1988 October 11th has been National Coming Out Day.  This is a day to celebrate who you are by being honest about it.  It is a day to become more authentically you, a day to show off the beauty that God created in you.

What is "coming out"?  To me, it means much more than just announcing a non-heterosexual orientation. There have been many things in my life that I have kept hidden from the people around me out of fear.  And, no, I'm not talking about just simple secrets.  I'm talking about characteristics of yourself that you cannot or do not want to change.  I used to pretend that I was straight because that is what my church wanted me to do, and what I believed my God, my family, and my friends wanted as well.  While many LGBT people have expressed that this feels quite repressive, for me it wasn't.  It was more like eating American ramen noodles my whole life and then finally going to Japan and having a bowl of real Japanese ramen noodle soup.  I enjoyed the ramen I had as a kid because I didn't know any better.  But Japanese ramen is so much better than the instant ramen we have here in America.  It's full of flavor and has meat and veggies in it, it's wonderful.  That's how it felt for me when I came out.

Why do we keep secrets from people?  I believe that the most common reason is fear.  As a teenager, you might sneak out of the house at night to go hang out with some friends--maybe vandalize something, pull a prank, or just make out with your boyfriend/girlfriend.  Obviously you want to keep this secret from your parents out of fear that they will discipline you for your misbehavior.  But, sometimes the secret you're keeping isn't in itself a bad thing, but you fear how people might react if they knew.  Maybe you have over-protective parents and they don't want you to date someone seriously until you're out of high school.  Having a boyfriend/girlfriend isn't necessarily bad, but you don't want your parents to know because they don't want you to have one.  Maybe you're a nerd but you don't want your friends to know because you want to be perceived as "cool", and to fit in with your friends you can't be nerdy.  Being a nerd isn't bad, but you just don't want your friends to know that you are one.

So, I say, let the cat out of the bag.  Open up your closet and display your skeletons in there for all the world to see.  Be proud of who you are.  If you believe in God, then believe that God made you the way you are and wouldn't want you to be any other way.  If you drool when you hear the new tech specs of the latest AMD processor that's come out, let people know you're an über-nerd.  If your body wants to express itself when you hear that irresistible beat, then dance to that music, let people laugh if they want to.  Show off who you are.  Apply for that lead role in Peter Pan or Newsies.  Join the school choir.  Be in a talent show.  People who will mock you for showing your true colors are simply expressing their own fears of showing who they are inside.  Maybe you can help them overcome their fears and be authentic too.

I have to say that coming out of the closet has been one of the best choices I have made in my entire life.  I feel free to express myself, free to show who I am.  I let other people make the decision to accept me for who I am or to turn away from me.  I no longer try to make that choice for other people by showing them what I think they want to see.  Now the decision is in their hands because I'm going to be me and they can decide for themselves whether they want to like me.  I would encourage anyone to come out.  Share who you are with those that you love.  Those who love you will still love you.  They may react in ways that make it hard for you to feel their love, but it doesn't mean that they don't love you anymore.  It only means that they need to work through all the new information for a while.  Remember, love conquers hate.

Comments

  1. So true. Japanese ramen is much better.

    Also, being honest, true, and open about who you are is a refreshing change.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that