Skip to main content

Olive Branch

There are a lot of unpleasant feelings in the world--hate, anger, fear, misunderstanding, frustration, disappointment, etc.  I admit that many of the things I have said in the recent past have cause some of these emotions in some people.  I take this opportunity to address that concern.

It seems that at times people easily interpret an expression of someone else's opinion or belief as a demand that others believe the same as them.  That is, when I assert my own views sometimes other people can interpret that as the statement that I feel other people should agree with me and that those who do not are stupid or ignorant.  I suppose the idea of tolerance is often confused with the idea of unity in thought.

I assert that I have not only the right but the obligation to disclose my feelings, thoughts, and perceptions--the right because I am a human and the obligation because there are those who will be able to relate to me who may need guidance in making their own decisions in life.  This is why I have been so forward with all of the things I have presented, and I make no apology save when I have spoken rashly, hurting another's feelings (even if unintentionally so) or when I have misspoken.

Just as forcefully (if not more so), I assert the right of each and every individual to do the same.  During these last few months the importance of being authentic has become palpable to me and I would never deny another person that sublime experience.  As my verbology in stating my beliefs has been rather forceful, I feel that there are those who are afraid to disagree with me--those who feel as thought they need to hide their own feelings so as to avoid hurting mine.  For example, since I have declared beliefs against those of the LDS church, I foresee that some of my LDS friends/family may feel like they need to not be as Mormony around me.  I hope that this is not the case.  While I no longer believe the doctrine, I can appreciate the fact that it is a very important part of other people's lives and if it something that makes them happy, then I can be happy for them.

Empathy.  The ability to feel what someone else is feeling.  I may not enjoy a football game (in fact, I guarantee that I won't) but I can be happy for someone else who enjoys football.  If they want to tell me about an amazing play that their favorite player did in last night's game, I can appreciate the fact that it is important to them and rejoice with them in their revelry, even though I have no personal emotional connection with the game or the player.  Just so with other things in life.  While I no longer wish to be a part of the LDS church, I can congratulate someone who was just baptized into it, since I know that it has made them happy, and I can rejoice with a couple newly married in the temple, filled with bliss at starting their celestial marriage.  Even though I am homosexual, I can (and do) rejoice with straight couples when they marry.

This is the olive branch that I extend.  Give me a chance to love you.  Give me a chance to enjoy your life with you.  Let me in.  Let me be your friend.  Share with me your frustrations, your rejoicings, and everything you feel to share.  Be authentically you and don't be afraid that I disagree with any of your particular opinions or beliefs.  If I feel a need to do so, I may offer my own opinion that may differ with yours.  If it is unwanted, let me know and I will not do so.

Comments

  1. I love reading your thoughts Keith and the way you approach life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely sentiment. I 100% agree with your approach here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that