Skip to main content

The gay agenda

The word "agenda" certainly has come to have a negative connotation in our society--specifically when used in a political context.  So, when I hear the phrase "the gay agenda", I think of a secret council of gay people meeting in a secret room somewhere secretly devising a plan to overthrow heterosexual society and replace it with an entire world filled with gay people.

So, what is this "gay agenda" that Christian fundamentalists keep talking about?  What is the hidden objective behind asking for social and legal recognition for gay couples?  Do gay people secretly want to make everyone else turn gay too?  If so, I'll let the cat out of the bag now--gay people understand that sexual orientation isn't a choice, so they know that making straight people gay is impossible.  So, that can't be it.  Ok, do gay people secretly want to take over the world and make straight people subservient?  It's possible, and I'm sure some of them want to if for no other reason than to get revenge for how gay people have been treated in the past, but I also highly doubt that there's any real reason for concern there.

I'm racking my brain and I'm not coming up with any other things that are allegedly on the "gay agenda".  I've heard that gay people want to legalize gay marriage so that they can destroy straight marriage.  I have yet to hear a logical argument as to how that happens.  The only argument I've heard to that effect is that gay people marrying each other means less people available to marry straight people.  Well, I have news for those who think like that (i.e., those who encourage gay people to marry straight people).  Mixed-orientation marriages often end in a great deal of pain and sorrow.  Those of you who have your own daughters, just ask yourself "Do I really want my daughter to marry a man that is not sexually attracted to her?  Do I want her to go through all of the psychological trauma of realizing that her husband isn't interested in her?  Do I want to damage her self-esteem that much?" and then tell me that you still want to encourage gay people to marry in heterosexual marriages.

If there are any other things that I've missed--anything else that's allegedly on the "gay agenda" that I haven't listed, please let me know so I can address that.  I'd be happy to write another post about this.

Now, I will state what I believe is on the gay agenda.  I can't speak for every homosexual, so I will speak for myself only.  What is on my agenda:

  1. I wish to be able to marry Conrad (legally) because I love him.
  2. I wish to live in a state where that marriage is legally recognized.
  3. I wish to adopt children with Conrad and raise them to be good, upstanding citizens in the community.
  4. I wish to end all of the misconception and prejudice against gay people.
  5. I want gay youth to be able to grow up in a community where they are not afraid to show their true feelings, not afraid to walk the halls of their own school, not afraid to date other gay people.
  6. I want to establish a community where love and mutual understanding wins out over closed-mindedness, lack of communication, and hasty judgment.  
Things that are not on my gay agenda:
  1. I do not wish to ruin marriage for anyone--gay or straight.
  2. I do not wish to break up any families.
  3. I do not wish to tell other people whether they can marry the person they love or not.
  4. I do not wish to dictate to other people what their religious convictions should be.
  5. I do not wish to impose my own religious convictions on other people.
  6. I do not want to force churches to perform gay marriages, if that church believes that gay marriages are evil.  I believe in the right of free exercise of religion.

(More pro-gay campaign signs like the one embedded above can be found here.)

Comments

  1. The gay agenda includes the goal (and I would suspect the primary goal) of silencing those voices who dare to say that homosexual behavior is immoral. No one likes to be told that their behavior is sinful. History is full of examples of hatred against and the torture and murder of those who dared to believe and suggest that people's behavior was sinful. That's why I believe that gay marriage isn't really about marriage at all. It's about the larger issue of shutting up all those self-righteous fools who still have the courage to believe what only a few short years ago was accepted as common knowledge: homosexual behavior is immoral. But now, given society's diabolical permissiveness, we all get to hear how those who indulge in immoral behavior somehow end up as "victims." How a choice to engage in voluntary behavior magically becomes "who I am" and therefore somehow excuses all my behavior. How those who actually have the courage to stand up for something are petulantly labeled as hateful and discriminatory. And what makes it that much worse is that I am convinced that those who advocate the gay agenda know it's wrong. But if you can get enough people to say something is OK, then you can allow yourself to believe it, even if you know it isn't true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that