Skip to main content

Fallacy

I was just alerted today to a statement on the website of the National Organization for Marriage (NOM).  I include with it the preamble offered on the same site.


Extensive and repeated polling agrees that the single most effective message is:
"Gays and Lesbians have a right to live as they choose,
they don’t have the right to redefine marriage for all of us."
I was quite perplexed to see this statement, especially as it was followed by "This allows people to express support for tolerance while opposing gay marriage." since in my opinion this isn't an argument in opposition of gay marriage, but rather in favor of it.  The first half of the sentence reads "Gays and lesbians have a right to live as they choose." (I'm not sure why "Lesbians" is capitalized.  I've only ever seen it in lowercase.)  I choose to live my life married to the man that I love, so NOM is saying that I have the right to do that.

Then the second half of the sentence "they don't have the right to redefine marriage for all of us" seems completely unnecessary because we aren't trying to redefine marriage for everyone.  For straight people, the definition of "one man and one woman" works perfectly well and nobody (of whom I'm aware) is trying to change that at all.  Straight people will still be able to marry someone of the opposite sex.  My parents have been happily married for almost 40 years now and I would never even think of trying to break up their marriage or making it be illegal.  I don't want to redefine marriage for all of us, and I don't think any gay rights activists do either.  I only want to redefine marriage for gay people--for me and my beloved Conrad, and for all those who come after me who wish to marry someone of the same sex.

So, again I say that using this sentence to oppose gay marriage is a logical fallacy.  First of all, if you concede the right of gay people to live as they choose, then you concede their right to campaign for gay marriage, because that is the way that gay rights activists choose to live.  Secondly, there is no movement to redefine marriage for everyone, only to expand the blessing of marriage to a broader set of people, so that all people will be able to marry the person of their choice, instead of only straight people.

What really floored me (and, quite frankly, disheartened me) was the preamble "Extensive and repeated polling agrees that the single most effective message is [the given statement]." because it says to me that something so illogical has been so effective.  I am alarmed at the irrationality, not only of the logic given but also of those with whom this statement has been so effective.

The thing that I find most interesting is that proponents of "traditional" marriage are guilty of precisely the thing that they accuse proponents of gay marriage of doing.  This is a very common theme in politics--I have seen both liberals and conservatives accuse members of another party of something and then turn around and do it themselves.  I have also heard citizens of either persuasion do the same thing.  But, here it is again.  Those who oppose gay marriage claim that they do so to protect marriage and that gay rights activists seek to destroy marriage, when in fact the opposite is true.  Gay rights activists have no intention of destroying anyone's marriage.  Allowing a gay couple to marry does not effect a straight couple's marriage (or, if it does, then I would suggest that the marriage was not very stable to begin with).  It is those who defend the concept of traditional marriage who are seeking to destroy marriage by denying the right to those who are homosexual.  What's most alarming is that the logic that these traditional marriage defendants use is so convoluted that they have even convinced themselves that they respect the rights of gay people and in the same breath seek to prevent those rights from ever becoming a reality.

Comments

  1. Actually, I doubt they have convinced themselves they respect the rights of gay people.

    The phrase "Extensive and repeated polling agrees that the single most effective message is" would seem to indicate that they don't believe the statement, they just feel that statement gives them the best chance to achieve their goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. I suppose I should have said that those who are convinced by this statement to oppose gay marriage are being self-contradictory by believing that they support the rights of gay people while simultaneously campaigning to prevent those rights from being legalized.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that