Rolling In the Deep

I've just recently started listening to contemporary music (and by that, I mean pretty much anything after 1940) and I've been surprised at how much of it I have come to like.  Just a year ago I hadn't heard of very popular names such as Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Michael Buble, and Katy Perry.  I have shocked many of my friends by informing them of this lack of knowledge, and I actually took pride in that (as silly as it sounds).

At any rate, I heard a song the other day while out dancing with some friends and it sounded like a fun beat.  I think it's one of my new favorite songs now.


This is a very beautiful song, speaking strong emotions of the heart.  Since I have read (and nearly memorized) the lyrics of this song, I am increasingly perplexed at why I like this song.  It's so poetic and such a powerful display of the emotion inside, but it's an emotion that I've never felt before.  I have never been betrayed in love (or at all, for that matter).  I have never had my heart broken (and, as far as I know, I have never broken anyone else's heart either).  So, I can't relate to the feeling the song describes, but for some reason I still like it.  I have sympathy for so many of my friends who have gone through rather painful and unpleasant breakups.  I can imagine the grief and the anger that might be felt in such a situation, and I think Adele does a good job of portraying that here.

I can relate to her determination and resolve in this song--as portrayed in phrases such as "Go ahead and sell me out and I'll lay your ship bare" and "Don't underestimate the things that I will do".  She explains that she will stop at nothing to accomplish her purpose, which is a feeling that I have felt in my own life. I tend to be quite passionate about things once I've set my mind to them.  When I feel strongly about something, I feel it with my whole being.  Perhaps that's the thing I can relate to in this song--not necessarily the betrayal, the bitterness, or the need for revenge, but the staunch dedication to her purpose.

Of course, it's also quite possible, with how out of touch I am with modern language, that I may have no clue what she's really singing about.