Skip to main content

Gratefully Gay

I am truly grateful to be able to experience life as a gay man during this generation.  Perhaps I have not always been grateful for that experience, and perhaps that is not the typical feeling that a person in my situation might have.  So, I would like to list reasons why I am grateful to be gay.

First, being gay has helped me understand my own spiritual beliefs better.  For example, "Why do I believe in God?" I believe in God because a universe without God seems to be a more desolate and lonely place in which to live, whereas a universe with God seems to have more hope and a more reason to do good in life. "What kind of a God do I believe in?" I believe in a God that wants, above all else, for His children to experience the true joy and happiness that He has found by following all of the laws of Nature.  He wants to teach us what we must to do achieve that joy.  There are many other ways in which I have searched and refined my beliefs.  Perhaps at a later date I will make a post solely on that matter, since I could go into much detail.

Next, I would say that being gay has helped me to have more compassion for other people.  I am more sensitive to other social outcasts or outsiders.  I have compassion for those who are misunderstood by their society, their family, or their peers.  I look on such people, not with pity or condescension, but with love and warmth, welcoming them into my heart, my home, and my life.  I long to befriend those black sheep that may feel like they have no other friend in the world.  I say this in perhaps a grandiose manner, and it may come across as trite, but this is something very personal to me that I do in my own small circle of friends that I have made in my life.  Starting close to home is the best place to look for hearts that are downtrodden.

The next one I am about to say may very well come across as arrogant, but I really don't mean it to be.  I merely mention it to give a full, accurate picture of myself.  I am a leader.  I know how to follow other people, and I can do it when it is required of me, but I much prefer to set my own pace, to do my own thing, and to blaze my own trail.  I don't like to follow the fashion trends that society tells me I need to follow.  I don't like to fit into the stereotypical mold that my society says I need to fit into in order to be a man.  I like to be uniquely me.  So, I am grateful to be gay because that is one more way in which I can stand out from the crowd.  I can blaze a trail by showing to my friends and family that it is possible to be gay and moral--to be dedicated to just one man and truly love him, not just lust after him.  I am truly grateful for the opportunity I have to be an example of such a person.  Even just for the benefit of other gay people who may not be as confident that they can live a genuinely happy, fulfilled life with a partner of the same sex.  But also for the benefit of any who have been falsely taught that happiness cannot come from a homosexual relationship.  I feel privileged to be able to personally show that belief to be false.  Certainly, I don't mean to disrespect anyone's religious beliefs.  I merely mean to say that I am grateful for the opportunity to prove empirically (or, to put it in religious terms, to show by my fruits) that true happiness can come from a gay relationship.

And, of course, the most important reason that I am grateful to be gay is that otherwise I would not have fallen in love with my wonderful Conrad.  As I wrote in an earlier post, every time I think of him my heart leaps within me and I am filled with joy.  Just writing about him now brings a wide smile to my face.  I long for the day when I will be able to see him again, when I go to visit him for his birthday.  It will be a truly happy moment to hold him in my arms again.  He is such a good man and has been so kind to me.  I am truly grateful for him.

Comments

  1. I would say that reason #2 (compassion for others) is quite possibly the greatest gift that comes out of being Gay/SSAed. I agree with it whole heartedly.

    Many are pained by the struggles this situation presents in our lives making us wonder "WHY" ... but learning compassion for others, for outcasts, for those who don't fit the mold... in essence, learning CHARITY (the pure love of Christ), is that NOT a good enough answer as to WHY our Heavenly Father would "allow" such attractions to occur?

    I wish you the best with your new man. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Lessmons

I was actually very pleased to watch this video ( link here ) about how people are leaving the LDS church in droves, and not because I take sadistic pleasure in seeing the numbers of LDS church membership decrease.  I think that the LDS church does in many ways serve as a positive force in the lives of some of my family and friends, and so I cannot with good conscience take joy in seeing it suffer. But the reason that I can take pleasure in this news report is that, to me, it says that people are thinking for themselves.  They are learning about their church (as I did) and are questioning whether what the church says is really true.  I would definitely recommend this to anyone at any stage in life.  And it's not something that you just do once and you're done.  It's more of an ongoing thing that you should do at every stage of life.  Think about what you believe, why you believe it, and whether it's a good thing to believe--or whether it's a true thing to believe.