Skip to main content

Defying Gravity

Karen always told me about this wonderful musical that she had seen and that I needed to watch it sometime (I still haven't, but I want to).  I regret that I never did watch it with her because now that I've heard some of the music from it, I really want to watch it.  Anyway, most of you reading this blog probably have seen it.  It's called Wicked.  From what I understand, it's the story about Glinda's roommate (the wicked witch of the West, in the Wizard of Oz, who incidentally is named Elphaba, after the initials of the book's author) and how she became wicked.

One of the songs in the musical is called "Defying Gravity" and I find it to be rather inspirational.  I actually have no idea how it fits in with the rest of the play, since I've never seen it, and since the words in the original soundtrack include lines that are not clear without the context of the play, I will quote the slightly modified version that appears in the TV Show Glee, on the episode where Kurt tries to prove that he can sing a girl's part.  Without further babbling, here are the lyrics.
Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I am defying gravity
And you wont bring me down!

I'm through accepting limits
''cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!
Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love
It comes at much too high a cost!

I'd sooner buy
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I'm defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you wont bring me down!

I'd sooner buy
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I'm defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you won't bring me down!
bring me down!



So, what is it about this song that I like?  I'm sure an argument could be made for how the LDS Church's standards are "the rules of someone else's game" and me repressing my homosexual feelings for so much of my life is "losing love I guess I've lost", but I think I'll leave that alone for now.  For one thing, I had Karen's love for three wonderful years and I wouldn't ever say that I lost anything there.  She loved me dearly and I am so grateful for that time.  I definitely didn't lose anything from entering or remaining in that marriage.

I'd really like to go a bit more general than that.  I have never been a person who lets other people set boundaries and limits on me.  I remember, my senior year of high school, I was dejected when I did not win the Math Sterling Scholar at the regional level (I won at my school), which I really thought was an injustice.  So, I decided that I wanted to prove to the world that I was good at math.  I studied really hard all school year long, and at the end of the school year they have a state math test, where all high school students in Utah are invited to attend.  I took first place in the test.  I graduated in 4 years (not counting a 2 year break for my mission trip) with a BS and MS in math.  I do not let other people dictate to me what I can and cannot do.  I set my own limits and my own expectations.

"It's time to try defying gravity."  If I set my sights on something, nothing will get in the way of me reaching that goal.  "You can't bring me down."  God did not send us here to this Earth to fail, to give up, to become discouraged.  Discouragement and despair are useless emotions.  As Paul wrote to Timothy "God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Tim 1:7).  I take courage in everything that I do.  Of course, I like to make sure that I'm doing the right thing before I embark on a quest, but once I've embarked, I press forward with faith and with momentum until I've achieved my purpose.  I did so while I was missionary in Japan, I did so in college, I do so now as a graduate student, and I will continue to do so in all of my endeavors in life.

Popular posts from this blog

What's a gainer?

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest reading my previous post before reading this one.  It's sort of an introduction and gives the motivation.  Also, by way of disclosure, this post is not sexually explicit but it does touch on the topic of sexuality and how that relates to the subject at hand.

So, what is a gainer?  I'll relate, as best I can, the experiences I have gone through myself to help answer the question.  I remember when I was a young boy--perhaps around 6 or 7--I would have various fantasies.  Not sexual fantasies, just daydreaming about hypothetical situations that I thought were interesting or entertaining.  I had many different fantasies.  Sometimes I would fantasize about becoming very muscular, sometimes about becoming very fat.  
These fantasies varied in degree of magnitude and the subject of the fantasy.  Sometimes I myself would change weight--I would become muscular or fat.  Other times, I would do something to make other people fat or musc…

The scientific method vs the religious method

I find it interesting when people cite the fact that science keeps changing as a reason to disbelieve it and to believe instead in the "eternal" doctrines taught by some church or other.  Let's examine why science keeps changing.  Here's the scientific method.

Develop a hypothesis (this means "have a belief").Design an experiment to test the hypothesis.Conduct the experiment.Determine whether the hypothesis is believable based on the results of the experiment. This is why science keeps changing--because people notice flaws in it and correct them.  People once thought the solar system was geocentric, but now know that it's heliocentric.  How did this happen?  By using the scientific method.  Scientists are willing to admit that they're wrong.  They're willing to give up a bad idea when they see evidence that it makes no sense.  Contrast this with the religious method (simplified version). Have a belief.Look for evidence to support that belief.Ignor…

Gymtimidation

Like many of my posts, this one has been floating around in my mind for a couple months.  I know many people avoid the gym because it is intimidating, so I'd like to share my thoughts about this phenomenon.  First of all, obviously going to the gym isn't the only intimidating thing in life, and many of these thoughts are things that easily translate to any other of these intimidating things.

So I'd like to share some of my personal experiences with gyms.  The first time I recall ever going into a weight room to use it was my first year of college.  I had PE classes all through K-12, but I don't remember ever using the weight room--just group sports, etc.  I recall being intimidated by all the machines.  Some of them I could figure out on my own, but many of them I just stared at and couldn't possibly conceive how it was meant to be used.  Fortunately, I occasionally went with friends and one friend was very familiar with all the equipment so he could help.  So, kn…