Skip to main content

Day of Memories

I am a pacifist, in the strictest sense.  I think that killing is immoral.  I think that war is a sign of poor communication skills and immaturity.  I do not feel good about praising people who are murderers.  I think that life is valuable and should be respected.  I think that people should be peaceful.

We are not a great country.  We are not peacekeepers.  We are not kind, compassionate people.  We are a bloodthirsty and warmongering people.  We invade countries on false claims and lay waste to them.  We slaughter millions of innocent people, and thousands of our own troops.  We destroy whole cities with our weapons.

We are hypocrites.  The reason given for invading Iraq was their possession of weapons of mass destruction and yet we own countless of our own weapons of mass destruction.  We have missiles and nuclear bombs.  We have fighter jets and bombers.  We have tanks and aircraft carriers.  We spend more on our military than the rest of the industrialized world put together.  We are violent and destructive.

Conservatives are still trying to crucify Obama for the Benghazi attack, and yet we ourselves bombed the Chinese embassy in Belgrade in 1999, killing 3 and injuring 20.










On this Memorial Day, I propose that we remember all of the lives that we have destroyed.  Remember all of the people in Iraq who are no longer living because we invaded their country.  Remember all of the people in Afghanistan who have died because we insist on waging war on their land.  Remember all of the children who were living in Nagasaki and Hiroshima at the time we decided to demonstrate the raw power of nuclear weapons.  Personally, I feel that remembering these people will help us to be more peaceful in the future.  Remembering those on "our side" who have died seems to be the typical attitude toward the holiday.  And I can't say that I know that's harmful.  But what I can say is that if we never think about "the other guy", if we never think about the victims of our aggression, then we may very well continue to believe that we are good, that we are making the world better with our military and needless killing.  I think that remembering those whom we have destroyed is the best way to prevent future destruction.

When you say the words "Support our troops", think what that means.  Think about the lives that our military ruins.  Think about the innocent children that our drones destroy.  Think about the civilian deaths that we dismiss by calling "collateral damage".  Turn the tables.  Put yourself in our enemies' shoes.  Imagine how you would feel if it was your country being invaded.  Imagine how you would react if the picture above were your hometown, decimated by a foreign power.  When we support our military, we are supporting this kind of senseless destruction of innocent people's lives.  It needs to stop.

We need to learn how to be rational.  We need to learn how to settle our differences peacefully.  We need to learn how to discuss things without resorting to violence.  We need to cast aside these primitive instincts that we have to kill and destroy.  Let us remember our fallen.  But let us also remember the fallen of our enemy.  Let us not glorify these deaths.  Let us mourn these deaths, and use that mourning to prevent future deaths.  Let us embrace peace.  Let us avert violence.  Let us honor the fallen by making them the last to fall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that