Skip to main content

Circumstantially Pompous

Twelve years ago I graduated from high school.  When Jostens came to my school on the day we were to order our cap & gown and other graduation paraphernalia, I was incensed.  It's a monopoly.  My choice was Jostens or nothing.  So I went with nothing.  I took a moral stand against Jostens' monopoly.  That wasn't good.  I was on the administrators' radar because I was in the top 10 in my graduating class.  I was asked no fewer than 5 times by the various administrators of my school whether I wouldn't change my mind and actually participate in the ceremony.  In fact, one of them even talked to me as I was sitting with the band ready to start playing for graduation.

Six years ago, I graduated twice.  In the Spring with my BS and in the Summer with my MS.  I was ambivalent.  I didn't really care one way or the other.  It was no longer a moral stand against monopolies.  It was just a lack of interest in the ceremony.  In fact, I didn't understand what the big deal was and why so many people chose to participate.

This semester, I graduated with my PhD.  That will most likely be the last degree I ever obtain in my life and therefore most likely my last chance to walk in a commencement ceremony.  That was one reason.  Another reason is that, as a professor, I will use my regalia on many occasions for the rest of my life.  Therefore, I bought my own so I could use it throughout the years.   Today was my commencement ceremony.  The first one where I actually wore my cap and gown--and hood.  The first one where I walked across the stage and had my name read.

It was great.  It was actually a very brief ceremony.  They only had one speaker, who only spoke for a few minutes.  We sang the National Anthem and the school's alma mater (at the end).  Aside from the reading of names and the walking, I think that it was under a half hour.  It was actually really exciting to be part of something fancy and special.  I was surprised at how it affected me.  I felt warm and excited.  I felt good.  I realized that there's a reason for all of the pomp and circumstance that we humans do.  Before, I just thought it was silly and pointless.

Logically, it doesn't make any sense.  The outfits we wear while dressing in what Hugh Nibley affectionately calls the "black robes of a false priesthood" are ridiculous.  We wear a piece of cardboard on our heads.  We have a long, droopy colored piece of fabric that we drape down our backs.  It's pure nonsense.  So, before, I never really understood why people thought it was so special.  Now I think that it's special because people think it's special.  And that's good.  People are emotional.  People do silly things because of the emotions they elicit.  And I loved it.

And when they called my name, my husband and my friends were there to cheer for me.  It was great.  My advisor was proud of me as he placed the hood on me.  I have finished my long trek of college education.  I have not learned all there is to learn.  In fact, I intend to continue learning for the remainder of my life, as any professor should.  But my career as a college student is over.  I have attended 22 years of formal education.  I have attended 10 years of college.  I have earned 3 college degrees, all in mathematics.  I have spent countless hours working math problems, grading math problems, writing math problems, solving math problems.  I have studied many topics in mathematics.  And it has come to fruition.  I am now a doctor.  I have now officially joined the ranks of the stuffed shirts of academia (and, considering that I'm 260 pounds, my shirt really is stuffed).

Here is to a better, more educated world.  Here is to education in the arts and sciences.  Here is to teaching and learning.  Here is to the love of learning, and the improvement of minds.  Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that