Skip to main content

Loss of privilege

One of my friends posted this the other day.  I was aghast.  The complete lack of understanding that this shows is absolutely astounding.  I've also seen floating around the interwebs several variations of comparing Tim Tebow with Jason Collins.  It's usually along the lines that the media gets mad at Tim Tebow for being openly Christian but praises Jason Collins for being openly gay.

I believe that the phenomenon that is going on here is the loss of privilege.  Up until just recently, straight people have been privileged in society.  Straight people have the privilege of walking around in public and displaying affection for the person they love.  They can hold hands, hug, and kiss in public without fear of being ridiculed or attacked.  Gay people have not had this privilege until the last couple decades.  Yes, some bold gay people did display affection publicly before that, but in most cases it ended in them being physically assaulted, ridiculed, or even imprisoned.

Straight people have the privilege of marrying the person they love, complete with all kinds of benefits. Gay people did not have this privilege in the United States until 2006 when Massachusetts first legalized it, and even now only 1 in 5 states allows gay couples to marry.

What people such as those complaining about Jason Collins' coming out do not understand is that the media and society are not praising him for being gay, they're praising him for coming out as gay.  It took a lot of courage for him to do this.  He is the first active NBA player to come out as gay.  Surely there have been many players who were gay, but he is the first one to say it.  And many people say that his sexuality shouldn't be a big deal and he should just shut up and play the game.  That's absolutely true.  But, the sad fact is that his sexuality is a big deal.  And that can be seen by all of the people who are tweeting that he should die, kill himself, or be killed simply because he's gay.  He lost some fans when he came out.  Many people are disgusted by it.  And why?  They shouldn't be.  It shouldn't matter in the slightest.

Some day in the future, it won't matter.  In a couple generations, no one will care whether an athlete is gay or straight.  In fact, there may well come a day when we no longer even use the labels "gay" and "straight" anymore.  But that day won't come until many more gay people such as Jason Collins come out of the closet and help straight people see that we're not dirty.  We're not immoral.  We're just biologically different.  We are attracted to people of the same sex, rather than people of the opposite sex.

The sentiment conveyed in the picture above, though, is related but slightly different.  Straight people are feeling attacked because it is becoming more popular to accept gay people.  A gay person coming out of the closet in the 80s or even the 90s was met with much more hostility than a gay person coming out now.  In fact, many gay people who come out now are met with very little hostility but instead are met with open arms and acceptance, as was Jason Collins (I'm sure he's had many death threats, and I know lots of people are saying he should kill himself, etc, but I also know he's had a lot of positive support from a lot of people).  This can feel like a threat to straight people.  They have always been privileged in society and now they are losing that privilege.  It is becoming the case that more often than not gay people are treated as equals, rather than as second-class.

Think about the rhetoric which is often used for the anti-equality movement.  We are accused of attacking traditional marriage.  We are accused of attacking the institute of the family itself.  The fact that all we want is to be treated equally is seen as a threat to heterosexuality and an attack on heterosexual marriage.  And, indeed, we are challenging the notion of heteronormativity.  We are challenging traditional gender roles.  We are challenging the idea that only straight couples can feel love which binds people together for a lifetime.  These are all true.  But, we are not attacking straight people.  We are not claiming special privilege or special rights.  All we want is equality.  All we want is to be treated the same as everyone else.  Let us hold hands in public.  Let us kiss in public.  Let us confess our love for each other.  Let us get married.  Let us raise children together.  Let us coach soccer teams.  Let us be scout leaders.  Let us feel like we have a place in society.  That's really all we want.  We want to be welcomed and accepted.  We are tired of being pushed around, literally beaten in the streets, ridiculed, insulted, told that we are evil and sinful.  We are tired of being treated as less than everyone else.  This is how we have been treated.  Just treat us like everyone else.  Respect us.  Befriend us.  Love us.  Let us have equal access to legal rights and protections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that