Skip to main content

Not quite so firm as the mountains around us

I remember one time during my first year of college, a girl that my roommates and I were friends with was having a rough time.  She came over and talked to us about what was going on.  She cried a lot.  After a long discussion and comforting her and everything, she apologized for being emotional.  One of my roommates said "It's okay.  No man's an island." and then he added "Except Keith."  I took pride in that.  I've always viewed myself as someone who can stand alone.  I can handle my own problems, etc.

I wonder if the reason I feel this way is because since a young age I was taught that I had to stand alone.  I had friends in my neighborhood, that lived down the street, when I was a child.  But at school I had very few friends.  People picked on me a lot.  So, I learned that I couldn't rely on other people--I could only trust other people to hurt me, not to care about me.  All through my public school years, I had very few friends until I started hanging out with the band students my junior year of high school.  But even when I was surrounded with a bunch of friends, I didn't open up to very many of them.  I have always been a rather private person, keeping my own problems to myself.

When the movie Shrek came out, I had one friend tell me that I reminded her of Shrek--particularly the part where he says that ogres are like onions.  And just like Shrek, I feel happy when I am left to enjoy my swamp by myself.  I don't need anyone else.  Or, that's what I like to tell myself anyway.

I like to think that I don't need other people, that I can be happy without the approval of others.  I like to think that I can take care of the problems I face.  I even like to think of myself as a role model or an example that people can look to for strength when they feel weak.  I think that by keeping any of my weaknesses to myself, I can be that source of strength for others.

I don't think that keeping things inside shows strength.  I think that sharing things with others shows strength.  I think that making yourself vulnerable by exposing a part of yourself to others requires strength.  I have come to see that I really am weak.  I can't tell other people when something's bothering me.  I can't admit that I'm depressed by something or other.   In fact, there are times when I can't even see that something's bothering me, because I've spent so much of my life pretending that I'm always okay that I'm out of touch with my own emotions.

During a heated political discussion yesterday, someone accused me of being an unhappy person.  I said that I am not, that I am quite happy.  But it made me think.  Am I really a happy person?  I put on a smile when I teach my class, I make jokes and try to get people to laugh.  I put on a good show.  But, if I were truly happy, then why would I let things that people say upset me as much as I do?  If I were a happy person, would I get so angry at people for things that they say online?  If someone telling me that they think that Romney is the best choice for Commander in Chief upsets me, what does that say about me?

I am not a strong person.  I want people to like me.  I need people to like me.  I want people to think I'm funny, witty, smart, kind, and loving.  I want people to compliment me.  I want people to say nice things about me--to my face but also behind my back.  I often pretend that I don't care what other people think about me, and I often say that too.  But I do care.  Pretending not to care is just another sign of weakness.  I use it as an excuse to push people away and keep them out of my swamp.  I use it as an excuse to be impolite (such as, I don't care what you think of me so I can be rude and it doesn't matter).

I can't admit that I'm wrong.  I can't admit that I am weak.  I can't admit that there are problems that I can't handle on my own.  These are all signs of weakness.  They are all things that keep me from becoming strong.  To open oneself up for attack is strength.  If I were strong, I wouldn't be afraid of being wrong, I wouldn't be afraid of asking for help.  And I'd care what other people think enough to be kind and compassionate to them.

Comments

  1. Realizing these weaknesses, however, is a sign that you have some strength, and being willing to admit them means you can become stronger.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that