Skip to main content

D-d-d-d-drama queen


This won't come as a surprise to anyone who knows me.  I just want to talk about it.

I'm dramatic.  Sometimes, I think I feel tenfold the emotion that other people might feel when experiencing a certain stimulus.  I love acting.  In fact, in high school I did it quite frequently in my everyday life.

I played a card game called Magic: The Gathering when I was in middle school, after a couple friends introduced me to it.  Then I stopped for years.  I casually picked up a deck last year when Conrad said he wanted to play with a deck he had put together, so we played a bit.  Then when I went to DragonCon this year, one of the vendors was selling big boxes of 2,000 cards for only $20.  I figured I could probably put together a fun deck with that much variety, and that I could even make a profit if I sold some of the rarer cards.  Well, that was the trigger into the two of us getting heavily involved in Magic.

We went to a prerelease event for the new expansion pack "Return to Ravnica".  It was fun.  I even won a couple packs of cards for having won 2 out of the 4 rounds I played.  It was exciting.

I wouldn't have done this without Conrad encouraging me and doing it himself, but I started to plan out a deck of cards.  I ordered some online and I bought some more cards from the local card shop.  I put together an angel deck.  I was aware that it wasn't the strongest deck in the world, but I was really excited about it.  I thought that I would be able to at least have a chance.

So, I take my angel deck and all of my effervescence with me to the event that they hold every weekend called (rather non-creatively) Friday Night Magic (FNM).  I was so happy to try out this deck I had built.  It was my pride and my joy.  I love angels.  I love white.  And I got creamed.  I mean, I had no chance at all.  I don't think I ever even hurt my opponent.  The first guy I played against just kept all of my cards tapped so I couldn't use them.  The second one had a card that buffed up all his creatures like crazy so they'd do tons of damage and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

I kept saying that it was just because I didn't have a lucky draw, but when you play four games and lose miserably each time, you can no longer blame it on luck.  You have to finally admit that your deck is weak.

I left after my second match.  I didn't even want to stay for the rest of the tournament (I'm not sure how many rounds they do, but I assume 4).  I felt worthless.  I felt like I never wanted to play FNM ever again--or even any constructed deck tournaments.  I was miserable.  It wasn't just losing a card game, it was having my very soul destroyed.

Conrad's all excited and saying how I should look up ways to make my deck stronger, and buy some of the cards that my opponents used because they're strong.  And I just say "I don't want to.  I don't care anymore.  I never want to play again."

It's rather comical now that it's the next day and I'm trying to explain it, but there it is.  I am dramatic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that