Skip to main content

The joys of love

For my 222nd post, I thought I'd do something special.  So, I decided to talk about the wonders of being in love.

I find it ironic that the people who immediately jump to the topic of sex when the word "homosexuality" comes up are precisely the same people who condemn the evils of sex (at least, extra-marital sex) and how we shouldn't think about it.  I believe it is people like that who do not understand love.

Sex is a wonderful, beautiful part of love.  Two people who are in love should engage in whatever sexual activities the two of them feel comfortable with.  But, to think of a relationship as just sex is so shallow and superficial.  Love is so much more than that.

As humans, we long for companionship.  We seek out connections with other people.  We make friends and build upon common ground with them.  We do things together that make us happy.

But, we also want a special someone (or someones, in the case of polyamorous people) with whom to be more intimate than just friends.  We need a deeper connection--someone with whom we can share everything.  Someone who will laugh with us and cry with us.  Someone who will feel and understand our emotions.  We want someone to rely on, to trust, and to be loyal to.

To hold someone in your arms, or to be held in someone's arms, is such an amazing feeling.  It can have so many wonderful benefits.  The hug can relieve you of the stresses of your day.  It can give you reassurance that everything will be alright.  It can amplify the happiness that the two of you are feeling.  It is a glorious and wonderful experience.

What does it mean to you to love someone?  To me, it means that you wake up in the middle of the night to carry your wife to the bathroom when she has pericarditis.  It means that you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for your husband when he's running late and doesn't have time to eat breakfast before going to work.  It means that you're available when he needs someone who will listen to what's going on in his life.  It means that you'll understand him when he tries to express himself to you.

The real joys of love are found in the quiet moments.  The moment when both of you wake up in the morning and just hold each other for a while before you have to start your day.  The moment when you sit with each other on the couch, just sharing the experience of being together.  Many times, you do not need to vocalize any words in order to understand each other--you simply feel what your lover is feeling and he feels your feelings.

To face the world with a companion at your side is no challenge.  By yourself, a task may seem formidable, but with your best friend at your side, you can accomplish anything.  This is love.  You do not view your lover as an adversary.  You view the dangers and difficulties of life as the adversary, and your lover is there as your ally to help you through all of those times.  To love him is not to fight against him, but to fight with him against any obstacle in his way.

And, yes, you do have sex.  And sex is a wonderful, beautiful, and amazing part of a relationship.  It draws the two of you closer together in ways that only sex can.  It is not something to be ashamed of.  It is not something to shy away from or to avoid discussion about.  It is something to rejoice in, something to embrace and experience.  To share with your partner all of the happy endorphins that sex causes to be released into your brain is sublime.  It is the icing on the cake.  It is a natural consequence of being in love.  And it makes sweeter any romantic relationship where it is shared.  But, it is not the only aspect of love--whether that's gay love or straight love.  It is not an end in itself, but it is a means, with love as its end.

Comments

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that