Skip to main content

Rationalization

By now I have taught easily a dozen freshman-level college math courses.  In every single one that I have taught I have faced the brainwashing that students have received to rationalize the denominator of a fraction.  (I use the word "brainwashing" here loosely.  Clearly I do not accuse any high school math instructor of actually using brainwashing techniques.)  For those that aren't aware or don't remember, a denominator is irrational when it has a square root (or any other root in it).  For example, 1/√2 has and irrational denominator.  The denominator can be rationalized by multiplying this fraction by 1 in the form of √2/√2, thus making it √2/2.

The first thing that I find extremely ironic about this is that there are some fractions that simply cannot be rationalized.  This occurs when a transcendental number is in the denominator, such as π.  But, that aside, there is no mathematical reason for rationalizing the denominator.  There is no real benefit in doing so.  Surely, there is no harm in it.  It does not damage the number in question, since it is simply another way of writing the same number.  But it is completely useless.  It serves no actual purpose.  The fraction √2/2 is in no way superior to or more useful than 1/√2.

In classes where I teach trigonometry (usually pre-calculus), I make a point to tell the students that this is the case.  I instruct them that there is nothing wrong with having an irrational denominator.  I use fractions that have irrational denominators to get them used to the idea.  And all throughout the semester, my students have problem with this.  The cognitive dissonance is obvious.  They believe that the instruction from their high school teacher(s) to rationalize the denominator is just as important as any other instruction they received in math class.  In the hopes of minimizing this cognitive dissonance, I do tell them that if they prefer, they are welcome to rationalize denominators since it poses no threat to mathematical rigor.

The only reason I can think that this concept has permeated high school mathematics education is that there are methods in calculus for finding particular limits where either the numerator or the denominator are rationalized in order to solve the problem.  But, whatever the reason, the fact remains that this is regularly taught in high school.  In fact, my own algebra and calculus teacher taught me that I should rationalize denominators.  For a time, I actually believed that there was a reason for this.  Then, I went to college and discovered that it's completely meaningless.

So, if you're reading this post you're probably thinking to yourself "This can't really be about math, so what are you getting at?"  You're right.  This is an analogy.  Just as rationalizing the denominator is harmless and yet completely useless, so too are many religious practices.  And just as I, and most college math instructors, work really hard to undo the brainwashing done by high school math teachers, so too do atheists work hard to undo the brainwashing of religious leaders.

Consider, for example, the religious practice of prayer.  Unless you mean to discuss a really radical religion or really strange prayer practices, this ritual is completely harmless.  Normally it consists of one or more people together with one or all of them speaking or thinking words in their head, expecting that these words will reach a deity who will then perform some action based on the prayer.  In all of my years as a believer, in all of the thousands of prayers that I have participated in, I have yet to see a single one which has any effect other than to comfort people.  Surely, there is no harmful effect of prayer.  However, there isn't any effect at all.  It's merely a waste of time.  Just like rationalizing a denominator, you're welcome to do it, but it's meaningless.

The same principle goes for any religious ritual (okay, maybe human/animal sacrifice or suicide bombing is a different story).  There is no real harm that is done in baptism, communion, or whatever other rituals you engage in.  But there's no benefit either.  There may well be psychological effects, such as comfort for those who pray.  But all of these effects can be granted through other means.  If I am ill, I can be comforted much more by someone caring for me (in a real sense--making soup for me, etc) than for someone praying for me.

In all my years as a believer, I have witnessed several priesthood blessings--which is really just another form of prayer--and I have even given several myself.  And every single one has again had no real benefit other than possibly to comfort the recipient or others involved.  I never saw a person healed.  I never saw a person's recovery quickened.  I heard plenty of stories of such things happening, but never met anyone to whom it had happened.

So, I say to all of you who are religious the same thing I say to my math students.  Go ahead and continue your religious practices.  They don't harm anything at all.  But, they are completely useless and ineffective.  You'd save yourself a lot of time by refraining, and you'd be no worse off, just as you save time by not rationalizing denominators.  You can know that I'm just trying to be friendly and help you out because I'm not trying to force you one way or the other, I'm just telling you like it is.  I'm just trying to save you time, and to help you see the truth.

Yes, you can get comfort from prayer, faith, and priesthood blessings and things like this.  But you can get comfort through other means as well.  You can find comfort in truth.  When I have a headache, I can find comfort in ibuprofen.  When I have a hardship or a trial, I can find comfort in knowing that it will help make me stronger and that other people more experienced and wiser than myself have been through such things and may be able to help me.  I believe that truth is always the best way to face life.  Be honest with yourself and with others.  Learn the truth, accept it, and be freed by it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that