Skip to main content

Moral Reprehensibility

I feel compelled to voice my feelings on this matter. I wish for it to be understood in no uncertain terms where I stand on the matter. I have been vocal in my opposition to Trump and his policies ever since he first started campaigning for president. I continue in that opposition now and do not see a future wherein I do not oppose him.

The matter currently at hand is that of children being torn from their parents at the border. Border patrol has been instructed by the administration to have a zero-tolerance policy and to separate families who are attempting to cross the border. Infants as young as 8 months old are being held captive, forcibly separated from their parents. At least one pregnant woman was among those who have been kidnapped and held in these unspeakable detention centers for weeks so far.

I denounce this practice as being immoral, unnecessary, and purely disgusting. It should offend any person with any shred of empathy. It is highly ironic that conservatives who have spent decades yelling about how the family is the basic unit of society and is so important and that every child needs a mother and father to now turn a blind eye to this horror or worse--to go so far as to actually applaud the effort by the current administration to keep babies and children in cages, sleeping on the floor with space blankets, never knowing if they'll ever see their families again.

I cannot for the life of me understand how cruel, heartless, and vindictive a person must be in order to instigate such a horrific practice. I cannot understand how people can stand idly by and be unmoved by the plight of the children (and their parents). And I'm deeply disturbed by the people who support it and defend it--my own father being one of them.

I want to emphasize that clearly the greatest share of the blame goes to those in authority--Donald Trump, Jeff Sessions, Kierstjen Nielsen, and any others who were involved in creating and issuing the policy change. They are unspeakably evil people for having done so. However, I would be remiss in placing all of the blame there.

It is firmly my opinion that the rank-and-file members of the government agencies engaged in these behaviors are also to blame. I understand that they are just following orders. I understand that they risk losing their jobs if they do not comply with their orders, and I understand that they have mouths to feed in their own families. I certainly would have a difficult time choosing between my livelihood and my conscience in such a matter--that is to say, if my employer asked me to do things which I found morally questionable or reprehensible, it may be difficult for me to refuse to do those things. Fortunately, I have not yet had to face that decision and hope I never do.

All that being said, we must hold these people accountable. The ICE officers who go into places of employment and raid them, detaining any hispanic persons. The border agents who tear children from their parents. The supervisors who tell the workers and the children that they aren't allowed to even hug each other. These are all things that I believe these people should be judged for, and held accountable for. Clearly it would not be possible for the Trump administration to commit the atrocities it is currently committing without the every day worker following orders and doing the horrific things that they are being asked to do. Without the little people to carry out the orders, that's all they would be--orders. Not actual suffering. It is the little people who actually cause the suffering. The men and women who tear families apart and say cruel things to the parents, like that they will never see their kids again.

How do we combat this? I am unsure. But one thing I still believe--beneath all of my cynicism and my hardened exterior--is that kindness is more powerful than hatred. I have lost hope that being kind toward people who are evil will help them recover from their evil nature. That may not ever happen. But being kind toward those who are being oppressed I  believe will help. It may ease or end their suffering. It may help them hold on to hope, to make it to see a better day. I believe we can donate time and money to organizations that have been created specifically to ease suffering. I have been donating to the International Rescue Committee ever since Trump first started making his stand against refugees. I plan to donate to organizations designed to defend immigrants from the atrocities being committed against them.

And one more thing I believe will help is to never go silent. In my mind, silence is compliance. I will continue to voice as vociferously as I can that this is not okay. This will never be okay. History will look back on this behavior harshly, as it has any previous violation of human rights. I despise those in power who have ordered the atrocities to occur and I deplore all those who follow the orders and carry out the atrocities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that