Skip to main content

Learning

A couple students sat with me at lunch in the cafeteria the other day. At one point in our conversation, it came up that I want my students to genuinely learn the material in my courses. This seemed authentically surprising to both students. As I recall, one of them even asked me why. I admit I was taken aback.

I understand that many students only go to college to get a degree, not to actually learn. There may be many reasons for this, but I suppose the largest is the pressure from society to get a degree--even if the degree is never necessary for the position that requires it. I have said before, and I still firmly believe, that this is harmful rather than helpful. Pressuring (or forcing) people to go to college who would not have elected to do so on their own--while perhaps granting job security to me--seems to be detrimental to education.

While I understand the reasons why students may go to college that are different from actual learning, I cannot relate to it personally. Yes, I admit my career of choice does require a degree (a PhD, in fact), and this is indeed one reason why I did as much schooling as I did. However, it was not my primary reason for going to college. As a student, I genuinely wanted to learn. (Yes, there were a couple classes I wasn't super interested in, and my performance in those classes was less than it could have been.) But I took classes just for fun. I took way more classes than were required to graduate. I graduated with 179.5 credits when I got my bachelor's degree. I took linguistics, just for fun. I took about twice as many 500+ level math classes as I needed. It was fun. It was fascinating.

So it's really difficult for me as an instructor to deal primarily with students who don't actually want to learn. It's frustrating and disheartening. To look into a student's eyes and see that the love for math and for learning in general that I felt as a student (and still feel, perhaps to a lesser degree) breaks my heart. It hurts to see students not actually wanting to learn. I had fanciful ideas that I would have students who actually were motivated by learning, and who would go above and beyond what was asked of them simply because the glow inside of them compelled them to do so. But if I've had any students like that, there have not been many.

I suppose the time it hurt the most was when I taught my first 400-level course. I had reasoned to myself that while 100-level classes were full of students forced to take it because of general education requirements, that 400-level courses would only have math majors who actually enjoyed math and wanted to learn it. But I quickly found that was not the case. Even among math majors, there was very little of that spark of interest in math purely for the sake of learning.

But, yes, I do want my students to learn. And I do try to convey my love of math, and hope that it will rub off on a student every once in a while. I love learning. I think knowledge is beautiful and wondrous. And I think we're all better off the more we learn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that