Skip to main content

The Uneducated Voter

So, I voted yesterday.  I was surprised there was a long line at the early voting site on my campus.  But, it was good to see that many people voting.  What was really disheartening was something that happened while we were waiting in line.

I thought it was rather considerate of the workers there to have copies of the ballot measures available for us to read while we were waiting in line.  Since I try to be an educated voter, I had already read these measures on Knox County's website.  They were mostly just boring county charter amendments.  However, at the same time it was a discouraging thought that so many people who came to vote probably didn't even know that these ballot measures existed prior to standing in line.  I would not be surprised to learn that some of the people there voting thought that they would only be voting for POTUS and no other office.  However, something far more disheartening happened.

There were two girls in front of me in line.  They glanced at the paper for a while and then said "This is too hard to understand.  I'm just going to put 'no' on all of them."  My little democratic (not the political party, the ideology) heart almost died at that statement.  Maybe people don't realize that you don't actually have to put a vote on every question.  You can vote "Yes", "No", or simply not vote at all.  And if you have no idea what the question is asking, I think you have a moral obligation to abstain from voting.  Also, I find it disgusting that they put such little effort into understanding the issues they're voting on and that they acted so ditzy about it.  We as a society promote ditziness in young people (mostly girls, but in boys too).  And I don't mind people acting ditzy, but I do mind when it concerns elections.

As I was standing there, staggering under the shear disgust and shock of what had just happened, I just thought "How often does this happen?"  For example, I imagined the vote on Prop 8 in California 4 years ago.  How many people just voted "Yes" on it, not knowing what it meant or what they were voting for.  They just thought that they should just vote "yes" on everything that they didn't understand.  And this election there are (I believe) four states which have a ballot measure concerning gay marriage--some to ban it and some to legalize it.  What if there are people just like the girls in front of me who just vote "no" on everything they see that they don't even try to understand?  This is a serious issue for me.  This is a serious issue for millions of gay Americans.  We should not have our fate decided by some ditzy voters who don't bother to take the time to educate themselves.

This is one main reason why I think the republic that we have set up is far better than a democracy.  I cringe to think what our country would be like if the public were allowed to vote on every bill that was ever proposed.  If the girls in front of me couldn't even understand one-paragraph amendments to the county charter, I'd hate to think how confused they'd be actually reading even one page of the bills that Congress votes on.

Personally, I think we should have a quiz and only count the votes of the people who pass the quiz.  People who don't even take the time to learn about what they're voting for should not have the right to vote.  Their uninformed decisions should not be made to affect the entire populace.  If you don't care enough about the democratic process to learn what you're voting for before you vote on it, then you should not be allowed to vote.  Ask questions such as "What is Referendum 74?" and if the voter answers correctly, count their vote.  If they vote incorrectly, ignore the vote.

Maybe a quiz isn't the best solution, but I do think that we should address this issue.  I don't think it's fair to make the entire population suffer from the laziness of people who vote without being informed.

Comments

  1. Yes, republics are better then democracies. Name one successful company run democratically where the decisions are made by the collective voting of all the employees. (I can't think of one) Now try to name a successful company run by a board of directors who vote. (Every successful company of a decent size has this in common)

    I don't think there is any evidence any sizable organization/country is better off by the collective voting of the masses versus the voting of a small number of wise, able people with years of experience behind them. I'm not anti-democracy but I think all signs point to a republic being a superior government.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that