Skip to main content

Campaign Reform

Sadly, most of the items that pop up in my newsfeed are now from my liberal friends.  I have to go hunting for the conservative ones.  I think that Penn Jillette speaks wisdom when he says that he likes to hear what people who disagree with him say.  I've seen several of my friends become so radical (far left or far right) that their words seem completely disconnected from reality.  I don't want that to happen to me.

At any rate, one of the main things I'm seeing my liberal friends post today is criticism of rich people funding republican races that failed.  In fact, here's a picture of it.  I agree with the sentiment that this is extremely wasteful and (at least in this case) ultimately futile.  I agree with the arguments that have been posed that this money would be better spent creating actual jobs for the American people--jobs where we actually produce something--rather than funding childish TV ads and giving away free buttons to supporters.

However, I can't help but notice the hypocrisy in posts of this type.  Surely my liberal friends are aware that democrats also spent millions on elections.  Yes, they may have won (some) of those elections, and therefore the argument might be made that the money wasn't as futile as the elections that were lost.  However, I don't think that's relevant in the slightest.  I think it's still the case that the money used on campaigns would have been better spent on actual jobs where actual goods and services are provided.

Now, of course, any money spent anywhere creates jobs for someone.  The people at the TV stations made money from the ads run by the various campaigns.  Billboard owners and sign-making companies, etc etc.  They all got some revenue, and this created some sort of job.  So, it's not all wasted.  But, I think that it would be put to far better use to have jobs like NASA, space exploration, performing arts, engineering, etc that will improve not only our current situation but also our future.  The future of the world is in science.  We need to do research.  Explore space.  Smash atoms.  Build nano-machines.  All of this stuff will improve our way of life now and will also improve the quality of life for the future.

Personally, I think we should streamline campaigns a lot.  There should be one website/phone hotline where each candidate submits eir own policies.  Then voters can go to one centralized place and compare all of the candidates based on their statements and their voting records (for anyone who has already held a public office).  No TV ads.  No campaign trails.  No speeches.  No debates.  Just issues.  No spending millions of dollars.  No endless and pointless mudslinging.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that