Skip to main content

Football

I didn't think I'd ever put my journal online, but I figure there's not really much I can't say to the world. I doubt anyone will ever read this stuff anyway. I just need to write a journal and I always lose the ones I write by hand. I could just save it on my own computer, but I figure this is easier.

Anyway, I don't like football. I never have and I doubt I ever will. I don't want to disrespect the vast majority of America that does like the sport, but to me it's just a bunch of brutes running at each other and jumping on each other with a poorly-shaped ball somehow involved. I'm sure there's strategy involved, and I'm also sure that there's teamwork involved and all that garbage, but personally I don't see it when I watch the sport—in person or on TV. It's a complete bore.

That having been said, I come to my current issue of disrest. My wife and I are attending college and her family came down this weekend to go to the football game. They offered to buy tickets for us. Now, in all fairness I must say that although my wife's family are all big football fans, my wife doesn't like it any more than I do. So I said I'd go to the game if my wife didn't mind, and she gave in too. My mother-in-law bought us tickets. Well, I've got a lot of homework to do, and I didn't get much of it done last night, so I need to do it today. I didn't realize that the security guards would not let me in the gate with my bookbag. I was only more astonished when, upon opening my bookbag to show them that all I had was books and paper, they informed me that books were also prohibited since they have had people throw books before.

I must say that, if I didn't like football before, I definitely am no longer impressed with it in the slightest. What kind of sport is there that the crowd goes so crazy that they throw things? What would possibly possess someone to pick up a textbook and throw it into a crowd of people? If football crowds really do get that frenzied, I'm sure I don't want any part of it. I like being in control of my own body and my own actions, and I'm sure I don't know anyone that would do such a thing when they were in complete control of themselves. The only logical conclusion that I am forced to take is that football is evil. What is the purpose of the devil? To steal a person's self-control away, so they are slaves to him. Anything that places people in a frenzied or berserk state should be avoided—and definitely would be avoided by any rational, reasonable human being.

Here I make the disclaimer that I am not displeased about being kept out of the game. If I really wanted to go to the game, I could just walk back over there, leaving my bookbag at home. I am actually happy that I don't have to sit through such a tedious and annoying ordeal. I feel bad that my wife's mom paid for a ticket that I'm not using, so I will pay her back. The real problem is that I didn't have the conviction to say what I really felt in the first place. I knew that I would not enjoy a football game and that if my mother-in-law did buy me a ticket, it would be wasted money. I would be sitting there the whole time feeling out of place and uncomfortable and really irritated at the noise around me. However, I did not mention anything to her about that. When she said, "It won't be any trouble. We'll pay for the ticket." I figured that it wouldn't hurt me any, so I didn't mind if she did buy the ticket for me. I should have been honest with her and let her know that I really wouldn't enjoy the game and that it would be better for her to save her money. That is the lesson that I have learned from this whole mess. I need to be able to just tell people how I feel about a given issue and not let them press me into something that I really don't want to do. I need to assert myself.

Hopefully, if you've read this far, you'll learn from my mistake, if you have the same weakness I have. And if you're one of those frenzied football fans, hopefully you've learned to tone down the frenziedness at the games so that people like me can take their homework in and work on it.

Comments

  1. :-) So I didn't even realize that you had this blog until now so I am only 5 years late in commenting on this! :-)

    But I can't believe they didn't let you in with your backpack! I'm not one for football either :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Lessmons

I was actually very pleased to watch this video ( link here ) about how people are leaving the LDS church in droves, and not because I take sadistic pleasure in seeing the numbers of LDS church membership decrease.  I think that the LDS church does in many ways serve as a positive force in the lives of some of my family and friends, and so I cannot with good conscience take joy in seeing it suffer. But the reason that I can take pleasure in this news report is that, to me, it says that people are thinking for themselves.  They are learning about their church (as I did) and are questioning whether what the church says is really true.  I would definitely recommend this to anyone at any stage in life.  And it's not something that you just do once and you're done.  It's more of an ongoing thing that you should do at every stage of life.  Think about what you believe, why you believe it, and whether it's a good thing to believe--or whether it's a true thing to believe.