Skip to main content

Judge and be judged

The Bible says "Do not judge, or you too will be judged." (Matt 7:1)  Of course, the logic is flawed, but in practice that is generally true--the more you judge people, the more they will judge you.  However, I think that sometimes we go too far when we say "don't judge me" or "don't judge other people".  I think the anti-judging culture is harmful.  I believe that judgment serves a good purpose in society, and that it is helpful.

Judging others is a powerful tool.  It should be acknowledged and embraced, not dismissed.  When I first came out of the closet, I joined the bandwagon of people who said "don't judge me for being gay".  But there were times when I had to admit to myself that I was grateful for the input that people gave me.  Many of the people who voiced their opinions to me did so out of love and a desire to help.  It may not have been a pleasant thing for me to hear, but often things that we need to hear aren't pleasant.  I fear that I have driven away too many people from my life by being angry at them for judging me and even telling them to stop judging me.

The ironic thing is that the statement "You shouldn't judge people" is inherently hypocritical.  By telling someone that ey should not judge others is to judge that person.  It is to declare a certain action as "bad" and to attempt to discourage people from engaging in it.

But how is judgment good?  Judgment is how society advances.  It's how technology is invented.  It is progression.  It is also how societies devolve.  It's how superstitions are upheld as truths.  It's how dogma leads to the damnation of progress.  The act of judging in itself can be used to constructive or destructive ends.  We can use it to promote harmonious social interactions or we can use it to promote violent interactions.

Judgment orders society.  The fact that theft rates, for example, are as low as they are is due in part to the fact that theft is judged by society as immoral.  If it were socially acceptable to take an object that belongs to someone else--or if the concept of possession itself was not one we had--then I conjecture that theft rates would rise.

Consider the example of same-sex marriage.  I do not believe that it is good that conservatives claim that they need to protect the family by preventing homosexual people from marrying.  I think that marriage equality should be the societal norm.  But what I do believe is good is that conservatives use judgment to perpetuate their ideas.  They judge homosexual people as immoral because homosexuality is, in their world view, an immoral act.  The act of judging itself is not bad, just the application of judging is.  If none of us were to judge, then we would not be able to judge the thief as immoral or the murderer as criminal.  The necessary corollary would be that all behavior must be acceptable, which would clearly not promote the greatest harmony in society.

We should not withhold judgment of people.  We should judge people.  Judging people is a good thing.  Judging actions is a good thing.  Deciding whether a particular behavior should be accepted or not accepted is an effective way of ordering society and even keeping peace.  What we should do is judge wisely.  We should weigh carefully the pros and cons.  We should not judge in haste.  We should judge with reticence.  We should understand the consequences of the judgments we make.

We should be willing to accept the judgment of others.  Not necessarily to submit unquestioningly to it, but to hear it and value it.  I should listen to the advice that my friends and family have to give me, even if it's not the advice that I want to hear.  Even if they are telling me that I'm messing up my life by doing what I'm doing, I should be grateful for what they say because it is helpful in guiding me.

Judgment can be good.  We all use it, even when we say that we don't judge people or that we don't want people judging us.  We judge people.  We should be aware of that, we should be wise about it.  We should judge things that are important and let non-important things go.  We should thank other people for their input and consider it sincerely.  It might help.  It might not, but it might.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that