Skip to main content

Giving a hoot

I wrote a while back my feelings about why I seem to not be able to let things go.  I've been thinking about that a bit over the last couple months since then.  I just came across this picture on Facebook, and it stuck out to me.  Why do I let myself get so upset about things?  The reason why it struck a cord with me is that I just barely had a heated argument last night about politics and gay marriage.  (When I first came out, I was continually arguing with people, so that wouldn't have been significant, but over the last few months, the arguments have died down significantly.)

I didn't "finish" the argument last night.  Something happened.  I was angry, but that had happened before.  I think what I realized was that I had had the exact same conversation so many times before, and it had never come of anything good, that I decided it wasn't worth it.  I blocked the two guys who were arguing with me.  (One of them wasn't even a Facebook friend, just a friend of a friend, so blocking him wasn't hard.)  But, since I blocked both of them, I've been thinking about why I did so.  If I am comfortable with my position (that gay people should be treated equally), then I shouldn't be upset when other people disagree.  I should allow them to say their own feelings.  I don't need to respond to them,  I don't need to give their words any credibility by replying to them.  I can just let them say what they want to say and let those words hang.

Or, can I?  Do I have that strength?  I've not yet been able to do that.  I want to.  I think that's probably the best thing to do.  People are going to be ignorant and bigoted no matter what, so why not let them just show how ignorant and bigoted they are and simply not get upset about it?  Why do I let it get to me?  I shouldn't.  It shouldn't bother me at all.  I know that I'm not doing anything wrong by living with Conrad.  I know that our love for each other is real.  I don't need to prove it to anyone else.  I don't need to prove that we want to get married because we love each other, and not because we just want a tax break.  Why do I feel the compulsion to respond to such comments?

I think I made significant progress last night when I just stopped arguing.  Yes, I blocked them, so the argument couldn't possibly continue--that's kind of the same as insisting on having the last word.  But, for me, I think that's progress in the right direction.  I'm not as upset about this particular argument as I have been in the past.  I actually think that the day will come when I'll be able to just ignore people who make disgusting, bigoted comments.  I'm sure that if I were in a very good mood, I could do it even now, but I want to get to the point where even when I'm not in a good mood I'll have the willpower to just leave it alone.  By responding to such stupidity, I only elevate its status from "ignorant comment" to "rational statement" by implying that it can be reasoned with.

In fact, I know I'm making progress in that direction because there actually was a period of time when it bothered me when people would say things like "We're praying for you." but it doesn't anymore.  I'm grateful for people wanting what's best for me, even if the way they express that is to pray for me.  So, I'm sure I'll eventually get to the point where it won't bother me when people say "No couple should be allowed to adopt unless they can physically have children." (Is it just me or does that logic seem completely backward?)

Anyway, this is me making a report about my progress toward (as the Mormons call it) "not giving a hoot".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that