Skip to main content

Why can't I let go?


Why is it so hard to let go?  People say things that make it sound so easy.  Some people seem to have the blessing of forgetfulness.  
Four years ago, I was in the hospital with Karen, while she was recovering from her surgery.  Her doctor did something that all of us (me, Karen, and her mother) felt wasn’t right.  I can’t speak for the other two, but I personally felt like it could be considered malpractice.  Two weeks ago, when I was called in on jury duty, as I sat in the courtroom and listened to the questions that the judge and the lawyers asked the prospective jurors, I asked myself the same questions.  One of the questions was something about whether you’ve had any personal experiences that you feel might make it hard for you to be objective on the case.  This was a case where a patient was suing his doctor for malpractice.  Immediately, I thought of this incident from four years ago.  In fact, I’ve thought of it often during these last four years.  And I came to the rather unfortunate conclusion that I think this experience would make it difficult for me to be objective.
I still feel some bitterness toward the doctor that was treating Karen.  The ironic part is that what resulted from the undesirable decision the doctor made really wasn’t a big deal, and didn’t have any long-term effects on Karen’s health.  So, there shouldn’t be any real reason for me to hold on to the bitterness.  I would be surprised if Karen hadn’t let it go.  And I would think the same for her mom.  It might be more understandable for me to still hold on to these feelings if I felt that somehow Karen’s death was quickened by what this doctor had done, but I know that that is not even remotely plausible.  And I don’t even hold the doctor responsible for her death in any way (this incident happened a year prior to her death), I only hold him responsible for his own arrogance and stubbornness.  
But I find that this same phenomenon happens all the time--for even much more trivial things.  Several months ago, one friend posted an article on my wall which was full of outdated studies and completely false propaganda about homosexuality, including STD infection rates and number of sex partners and everything.  Needless to say, I was irate that he posted that on my wall.  I sent him private messages for months following, telling him how I felt about what he posted, how it was false, and why it was so hurtful for him to post things like that.  Why couldn’t I just let it go?  Why did I feel the need to keep returning to him and expressing my hurt from what he had done?
I find myself often doing this.  There are certain people that I email or message on a regular basis, solely for the purpose of lashing out in a similar fashion.  Maybe they said something a while back that I want to refute for the umpteenth time.  Maybe they hurt my feelings, called me a name, or said something that I felt was outrageous and irrational.  But, I feel this overwhelming need to message them about it.  
On a few occasions, I’ve had people tell me that there’s a specific topic that they don’t ever want to discuss with me again.  This makes me absolutely furious.  Why?  Why do I feel the need to continue conversation with them, even when it’s apparent that further discussion on the matter is unlikely to yield any fruit?  I don’t know.  But I do know that I have this desire.  And it’s not just a weak, back-burner kind of feeling.  It’s like an obsession.  It will often consume my thoughts.  I word and reword what I’m going to say over and over again in my mind until I get to a computer or my phone and type it up.  And so often it does no good, it only does harm.  And often the most infuriating response is a lack of response.  I have had several people simply ignore such emails from me, and understandably so.  
There are few things that make me more upset than when someone ignores me.  To me, when someone ignores me, it’s as if they’re saying that I don’t matter at all--that I’m not even worthy of a response.  I can’t stand it.  It’s affronting and insulting.  How could someone be so cruel as to ignore me?  
And I wonder if this feeling is related to the first one I shared.  I don’t ignore people.  When someone sends me a message, I reply.  And, as I said above, sometimes I reply dozens of times.  I reply for months to come.  But the last thing I’d do is ignore them.  In fact, many times I’ve even told myself that I want to ignore them and that it would be best for me to ignore them, or that I should ignore them because that will upset them.  But I find it impossible to do.  I might go a day or two--maybe even a week--of ignoring them, but then the compulsion is too great and I find myself virtually incapable of going any longer without replying.  
Why is this?  Why is it so difficult?  Why can’t I just let people be who they are, and say what they think, and let it go at that?  Why do I feel like I have to have the last word, like I have to convince them they’re wrong, like I have to show them why or how they’ve hurt me?
This is also true in the case of letting go of people, instead of just feelings/experiences.  As an example, several people have unfriended me and stopped talking to me since I came out of the closet.  And I’ve written about this before--here on my blog and on Facebook.  A common response that I get from people is something along the lines of “Just forget about them.  They just aren’t awesome enough to appreciate your awesomeness.”  I find this wholly impossible.  I cannot forget about someone that I’ve made a place for in my heart.  I cannot simply let go of all of the feelings that I’ve engendered toward them.  Especially when it’s an old friend or a close family member.  I just can’t let go.
There are several people that have abandoned me, or have simply distanced themselves from me because of one thing or another that I’ve done or said.  And it hurts.  But, as often as I try I find I am incapable of pushing them out of my heart.  Even if they are out of my life, even if I never hear from them again, I am fond of them and think of them from time to time.  There are many dear friends in this category.
And there are also some friends in a slightly different category.  These are people that I have personally pushed out of my life--maybe I blocked them on Facebook or simply told them not to talk to me again.  And I still feel the same toward these people.  They are here, in my heart.  I cannot forget them.  Even though I have blocked them or told them to leave me alone, I care for them.  I feel them.  They are dear to me.  I cannot let them go.  I cannot let go of my memories of/with them.  
There are times when I feel that my heart may very well burst with all of the emotion that it contains.  How can I possibly feel so much love, so much anger, so much frustration, so much fondness, for all of the people that I know?  How can I contain it all?  And why do I find it so difficult to let go?  Why is it so hard for me to move on past all of the hurt and the pain?  Why can’t I simply let someone else win an argument?  Why can’t I just drop an issue, instead of rehashing it ad infinitum?  

Comments

  1. Keith, your a very passionate person with very activist tendencies. (And that's not a bad thing!) There's no way to be that kind of person if you are calm about everything around you. I think it is just a fact of life that passionate activists make co-believing friends and non-agreeing enemies quickly, and have a very hard time when people change sides. AGAIN, THAT IS NOT NECESSARILY A BAD THING!

    The early Mormon church was this way and made friends and enemies very quickly. (And I am not against the Mormon Church) They couldn't keep their beliefs quite and personal, they had to send out droves of missionaries and when one defected they were very passionate about how in the wrong the person was throwing around words like "apostates" with ease. And the early church made many enemies very quickly and also held grudges for generations against Missouri, Illinois, Emma...

    And again this is not necessarily a bad thing. I love the LDS Church and I love you. It's just the nature of someone/something that is inherently very passionate and very prone to public activism about their causes.

    The opposite is Anderson Cooper. He came out to his close friends and family years ago but he choose to keep everything low key and never engaged in activism. Result, I don't think he has nearly any enemies but at the same time I don't think he is going to go down in history as the Rosa Parks of Gay rights.

    So my point is: is think the roller coaster of experiences you have described unfortunately is a part of the passionate-public -activism business which is why you, and the "activist" Mormon Church, will probably always have roller coaster experiences.

    But again that said: I don't think this is bad. You know I clearly don't hate the LDS church or wish it to take a passive approach to the gospel and I hope you also know that I don't hate you either and you would never be the Keith Penrod I know and love if you just lost your passion and tendencies for activism.

    Your a great guy Keith. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support and condone all the words Mr. Smidt said above. My two cents are as follows. Whether you find any relation here is completely up to you. I have learned also the hard way that the pain felt for being anything than you naturally are FAAAAR outweighs the pain felt for being who you are. both being who you are and trying to be someone you are not brings pain. LIFE just brings pain. If you were a fish with the attention span of 1.3 seconds and a concept of life equal to a rock, you will still feel pain. So why not feel it being the most comfortable. relationships are a perfect example of who much pain can be brought by trying to be someone you are not. I live in South Korea. The other weekend I went to a party with my girlfriend of about 3 months. This party was thrown by my best friend of about 2 years. He REALLY wanted me to come. I expressed this to my Mel (my GF) and she said she would go. I knew she really didn't want to go, but I also knew she wanted to be a good girlfriend because she really likes me as do I. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM STARTS!!!! Because she really likes me, she feels she needs to make sacrifices and adjust some aspects of her life to better fit it with mine. I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! BUT i also understand that crossing your threshold of tolerance and being forced to be someone you are not comfortable with is NOT good. This is what happened at the party. She is not a social party person. dancing, singing, socializing in that setting is not here style. But she felt she had to push herself to enjoy it for me. but by her doing that she naturally accrued stress from being someone she wasn't. so much that she got angry and stormed out of the party contemplating going home alone and giving up on the relationship. ALL BECAUSE she wanted be someone she wasn't for me!!!! WE ALL have to make sacrifices and adjustments to new conditions in our life, e.g. people, jobs, love, etc. but we MUST know when we are reaching our limit of who we can be to make sure we don't become someone we CAN'T be. because by doing so we will hurt the very people for whom we want to be all we can be. Mel going to party was a big thing for her, and I understood that. All she needed to do was tell me before she crossed her limit that she wanted to leave, and if i was someone who understands her (which I am) we would be able to come to some decision of what to do INSTEAD of her bottling up all the stress of forcing herself to be someone she is not and then explode with unnatural thoughts. If you are who you naturally are, you will feel all the feelings that exist in life, but you will always connect with the people you really want to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that