Skip to main content

Our business is rejoicing

I like to think that I'm a positive person.  I like to think that I'm generally friendly, amiable, and easy going.  I like to think I have a good mix of positive things to say among the less-pleasant things.  But I just wanted to take a moment to push back against what I can best describe only as the Disney-esque positive-only perspective that I see from time to time.

I had a couple cousins on Facebook who sometime around a year or two ago made a post something to the effect of "I don't want to see any negative posts in my newsfeed.  If you like being negative unfriend me."  I'm paraphrasing, this is strictly from memory, but it was the gist of the post.  So I unfriended them because I know that a good portion of my posts are negative in nature.  I post things which are critical of religion, of conservative views, etc.  Many of my posts are the opposite of feel-good lovey-dovey posts.  I didn't feel particularly close to these cousins, so it wasn't really a loss.  I had interacted with them in person a handful of times at most.  I doubt they even noticed, since I didn't bother to announce it to them.

Now I don't mean to be critical of positive posts.  I think it's great to express love, to speak glowingly of things that you like, to lift other people up, etc.  I think there needs to be more of that.  What I dislike is the notion that that must comprise an entirety or a vast majority of what one does or says.  I think it's entirely unhealthy--and unrealistic--to insist that all interactions with all persons all the time be positive in nature.  It is summarized by the phrase "our business is rejoicing", which was the climax of Shostakovich's Fifth symphony.  Through music he expressed the oppression he felt under Stalin's rule and his own personal compulsion to be positive and put on a happy face to keep Stalin pleased with him.

I do believe that the world has become too critical, too judgmental, too easily offended.  I think it would be better for people to be more upbeat, more sensitive of others' feelings and simultaneously less sensitive oneself.  I like to consider myself as part of the movement for the increase of positivity--sometimes I do better than others.  But I see real harm in carrying that too far.  I think people need to be able to handle criticism without being hurt or offended.  I think people need to be able to carry on conversations with persons of opposing viewpoints without feeling attacked.  I know a few people who say that they feel attacked anytime they are contradicted, these are often the same people who insist on a 100% positive life.

I believe it is childish to presume that one can go through life with only positive feelings.  In fact, I believe one misses out on the richness of life by doing so.  I suppose what I'm trying to express is best portrayed in the Pixar movie Inside Out, where it is shown how a girl matures from feeling the need to always be happy to realizing that she can incorporate all of her emotions together for a richer experience with her friends and family.

So my philosophy is to enjoy the richness of life.  Laugh, cry, yell, sulk.  Get angry at people, be disappointed in people, praise people, love people, hate people.  It's all part of being a person.  It's part of being alive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that