Skip to main content

Scapegoats

As human beings, we are biologically predisposed to avoid accepting blame.  It is uncomfortable.  It's unpleasant.  We have invented many ways of trying to get out of accepting blame.  But the simple fact of the matter is, when something bad happens, someone needs to accept the blame.  Sometimes this blame is placed on supernatural beings such as mischievous gods or devils.  Sometimes it is placed on a random unfortunate target.  But, in many cases, there is a designated person or group of people which is arbitrarily assigned the blame.  This is the definition of a scapegoat.

The event that triggered me thinking about this concept is when Donald Trump asserted that immigrants coming from Mexico are rapists, criminals, and drug dealers.  Considering that he is leading the most recent polls, it seems that his message resonates with at least a plurality of conservative voters.  So we must ask ourselves why this is.

In defense of his assertion, Trump cited this (rather disturbing) statistic--that 80% of Central American women are raped while crossing the border from Mexico to the US.  The problem with this is that it only shows that Latinos are victims of rape.  It doesn't show who is doing the raping.  The immediate, automatic response that we have--because of our biological nature--is to assume that "our" people can't be doing the raping, so it must be "their" people.  We don't want to admit the fact that Americans could be the rapists, so we assume that it's Mexicans who are the rapists.

The truth of the matter is that rapists exist in every culture.  It's part of humanity.  Some people rape.  Americans, Mexicans, anyone.  It isn't a Mexican problem.  It isn't an immigrant problem.  And it isn't even an illegal immigrant problem.  It's a human problem.  But we need a scapegoat because we can't admit fault ourselves.  We're hardwired not to admit fault.  If Trump asserted that Americans were the ones raping all the women at the US-Mexico border, he'd lose all conservative votes.  American voters don't want to hear that Americans are bad.  They want to hear that Americans are good.  They want to hear that America is the greatest country on the planet.

This phenomenon occurs all throughout history.  It is still quite prevalent in our society and in our politics.  Gays have been blamed for natural disasters.  Virtually every minority has at some point been the scapegoat for one thing or another.  Blacks, Jews, Irish, Asians, Mexicans.  And this blanket blaming is effective because it only takes one or two examples to convince the population that the stereotype is true.  A tornado touching down on the same day as a gay wedding, a black person mugging someone in the street, etc.  Then the lie is perpetuated that all black people are thugs, and other similarly false prejudices.

It's easy to create a scapegoat and blame all problems on them, accuse them of ruining society for everyone.  But it is not effective at solving problems.  In order to effectively solve the problems that we wish to place blame for, we must discover where the source of the problem truly lies.  We must admit that there are Americans who are rapists.  There are Americans who are drug dealers.  Whatever group you identify with, admit that people belonging to your group could be part of the problem.  You personally could be part of the problem.  Without being able to do that, we will never be able to solve problems.  We'll constantly be placing blame on others and never accepting responsibility for our own actions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that