Skip to main content

To riot or not to riot

Obama has called for peaceful reaction to the decision the grand jury in Ferguson has reached.  In his speech, he mentions what Mike Brown's father said about the matter--also that people should be peaceful.  I am a peaceful person.  I do not feel a need to personally be violent.  I see the wisdom in being peaceful and in striving for harmony with others in the community.

However, I do not agree with the argument.  Obama says that there is never an excuse for violence.  Of course I find that ironic because he's using violence left and right in the Middle East.  I am a pacifist.  I don't like violence.  I like peace.  But I cannot say that I feel there is never an excuse for violence.  I empathize with those who feel so frustrated that their only recourse is to turn to violence.  I feel even that it may be logical to do so.  When injustice reaches a certain level, revolting against authority figures guilty of creating that injustice becomes justified.  Or, as Thomas Jefferson would put it:
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
I admit I didn't understand the particulars of the justice system here.  I had to look up what an indictment was because I'd never even thought about it before.  Darren Wilson was not tried and found innocent.  The grand jury was to decide not whether he was guilty but whether he would be tried for a crime.  The decision they made Monday night was that he shouldn't be tried.  Sadly, police officers are almost never indicted.  That is to say that, in nearly all cases, officers aren't tried for any actions they commit while on duty.  They might kill people but never be tried for murder.  In Utah, police kill more people than gangsters do.  Why do we tolerate such behavior?  Why do we excuse such behavior?  Why do we allow such behavior?

I think that it's perfectly reasonable for people to feel defeated by the system--to feel that justice is impossible when working within the system we have established.  Statistics would certainly indicate that there is a huge problem with racial profiling in our justice system.  When it becomes apparent that the system does not work to provide justice as it is meant to do, the only logical conclusion is that we must step outside the system in order to achieve justice.

Standing peacefully by as people perform atrocious acts only sends the message that those acts are acceptable.  Watching police officers pick off our fellow citizens in the streets one by one and reacting peacefully will only encourage more police officers to kill more of our fellow citizens because they see that they can get away with it.  We must not tolerate such behavior.  We must let them know that their behavior in unacceptable.  I do so by writing strongly-worded blog posts.  Other people do so by rioting and looting.  I do not disapprove of their methods.  I believe that the violence has a place.

Violence is sending a strong message of discontent.  There is sufficient and justifiable reason for the discontent of many members of the Ferguson community, and in other communities all across the country--and indeed all over the world.  There is, in my opinion, justifiable reason for the violence of those who feel unfairly represented by the law and the legal system.  Obama says that we are a country with the rule of law established.  Theoretically, that is true.  However, in practice that is clearly false.  We do not serve justice in our country, we serve those in power.  Rich white people with connections are treated much better than poor non-white people with no powerful connections.  We have the rule of cronyism, not the rule of law.

I will not be joining in any violent protests.  I will not be looting or burning or vandalizing any property.  However, I will not speak critically of those who do.  I empathize with them.  I feel their frustration.  I feel their intense hurt and anger at the blatant injustice that they feel.  To be clear, in my opinion, this is not a question of Mike Brown being killed by Darren Wilson.  This is a much larger issue.  For the sake of argument, let us assume that Wilson is not racist and that Brown was attacking him and Wilson only killed the young man out of necessity to save his own life (not that I believe that--but for the sake of the point I'm trying to make in this blog post, let us assume all of that).  There are far too many injustices toward black people in our country.  There are far too many cases where a young black male is shot and killed by a white police officer.  There are far too many cases where black people are arrested for a crime that a white person would not be arrested for.  There are far too many cases where a black person will receive a much harsher sentence for precisely the same crime that a white person committed.  The injustice is glaring.  It is not something that happens every once in a while in extremely rural places.  It is something which happens on a regular basis all throughout the country.

I wish that all people could get along.  I wish that we could all live in harmony with each other.  I would like to see people voice discontent peaceably.  However, I believe that there is a place for violent protest.  I believe that there comes a time when circumstances are so intolerable that they justify or even demand that violent action be taken.  If someone insists on oppressing you, politely asking them repeatedly to please be more fair clearly will be ineffective.  When the message is clearly sent that a peaceful reaction will be ignored, violent reactions seem to be justified.

As Martin Luther King Jr did, I dream of a future where all people are judged by their actions and not by the color of their skin.  That day has not yet come, but I dream of a future where it is reality.  That day will be a brighter day in the annals of human history than today was.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that