Skip to main content

Desires of the flesh

Most world views include an explanation for our lusts--our desires.  Many religions teach that these desires are evil and come from a devil.  These desires should be kept in check in order to keep oneself pure and void of evil.  I'll name some specific examples.  The lust of food, gluttony.  This is one of the deadly sins.  The lust of sex is another.  Many religions teach that these are enticings of an evil spirit trying to get us to do things we oughtn't do.  In fact, we even talk about a brownie looking "tempting", or call an attractive woman a "temptress".

I think that the naturalist world view is far more logical.  We have these desires not because there is an evil entity attempting to trick us and make us miserable, but because there are logical reasons for them.  In fact, when put in light of evolution these desires make perfect sense.  The desires that we experience--our impulses--arise from the desire to perpetuate the species (and the individuals of the species).  We desire to eat because we need the food in order to live.  We desire to have sex because we need to copulate to reproduce and create the next generation of the species.

Why should it make a difference which world view I adopt?  Well, it can make a world of difference, and here's how.  If you believe that sex is bad and that the devil tempts you to have sex, you may feel guilty when you have sex or when you have sexual thoughts.  You may try to hide or repress these feelings, and feel even more guilt when you commit a sexual act--even masturbation.  I was stuck in a cycle when I was a believer.  I would feel guilty for masturbating, then feel awful, and to make myself feel better, I would masturbate and feel even more guilty.  I've seen other people in this cycle and it is very damaging psychologically.

Contrast that with a person who understands that eir body has urges which are natural and are a result of eir biological and chemical processes.  Ey will masturbate and feel good about it, and then go about eir day as thought everything is fine--which it is.  Ey may have sex with a person who consents to the act and not feel any guilt because it is simply acting out one of the biological acts that we do as sexually reproducing creatures.

Consider the case of food.  Someone who has an eating disorder may pray to eir god for help.  Ey may feel that the devil has power over em, making em eat when they know ey should not or think ey should not.  Someone who understands how food and the desire to eat are related to eir brain chemistry is better equipped to face the problem.  The desire to eat is a survival mechanism.  The desire to overeat when food is abundant is also a survival mechanism.  The body's storage of excess food in the form of fat is a safeguard against times of famine or seasons when food is less plentiful.  The devil isn't tempting us to eat more food.  We simply want to eat more food because there is more available.  Consciously we know that food is always available and we don't need to plan for famines, but our subconscious does not know that and is always suspicious of potential famines because it's something our ancestors have dealt with all throughout our 3 billion years of history.

The naturalist world view is that these desires are not sinful, they are not evil.  They don't come from an evil being who wants to make us sad and do bad things to hurt ourselves and other people.  They come from nature, from natural selection.  They come from the desire to survive--the need to survive.  And since we are aware of these desires and understand them and how they fit into our own lives, we do not need to be subject to them.  We can control them.  And we should control them.  But not because they are evil.  Only because sometimes we know better than our instincts do.

A man may see a woman and desire to have sex with her.  This is a natural instinct, not a temptation.  It is not an evil desire.  It is lust.  It is what Christians would call "adultery in his heart".  But he has done no wrong.  The question of whether he should follow through with this instinct depends on more than just the fact that he had the instinct.  If people always followed their instincts, then this man would attempt to have sex with this woman regardless of whether she wanted him to.  If she is non-compliant, this is called rape.  She should not be forced to have sex against her will, so this would be bad.  However, if she is attracted to him and desires to have sex with him as well, then the act is not bad.

And so we can and should control our appetites and passions.  But don't feel guilty for having them.  I don't believe that they are evil desires.  I don't believe they are temptations.  I don't believe that there is anything wrong with feeling instincts, and even acknowledging and vocalizing those instincts.  Our desires and passions exist for a reason, and it is a good reason.  It is for our own good.  It is for the good of our species.  It is for the good of mankind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that