Skip to main content

Brendan Eich

Brendan Eich was recently named CEO of Mozilla Corp.  This was a big to-do because he is known to be anti-marriage equality.  OkCupid semi-blocked Mozilla users from accessing their site in protest.  I say semi-blocked because they could still go through to the site but before they did, there was a page to inform them why OkCupid thought they should use a different browser.

So, apparently, Eich just resigned from the position.  One gay blogger said he was disgusted that the gay community did this to him. One thing he said I agree with.  "If we are about intimidating the free speech of others, we are no better than the anti-gay bullies who came before us."  I think that it's important to avoid bullying.  I think it's important to allow people the freedom to hold their own opinions.  But to me that's not what this issue is about.

I read another article that I feel explains my personal feelings about the matter much better.  See, to me, the issue isn't about whether Eich is just speaking his own opinion.  It really isn't.  It's about the fact that his opinion is that certain people (queers) should have different rights than other people (straights).  That is to say, he is a bigot.  He believes that certain people should be privileged and other people should not be.  He believes in inequality.

Another thing that is significant is that he was named CEO.  He has a lot of power in that position.  He isn't just an individual expressing his opinions, which he has a Constitutional right to do.  If this story were about Brendan Eich the taxicab driver being fired because he supported Prop 8, that would be a different story.  But it is a man who is entrusted with the executive power of a major company.  It is an influential man.  And for the company to instate him as CEO when he personally believes that discrimination is acceptable sends the message that the company believes that discrimination is acceptable.  But it isn't.

Ostracism is a good and useful tool in correcting bad behaviors.  Yes, we should be diverse.  We should allow people to be different and to hold differing views.  But there are some things we should not tolerate.  We don't need to tolerate murder.  We don't need to tolerate theft.  Even if there's someone out there who believes that murder is okay.  That person certainly has the right to say that ey feels that murder is acceptable.  But if Google were to make that person their CEO, that would be a statement that Google believes that murder is okay.  It would send the message to the thousands of its employees that their lives could be taken at any moment.  And that's a horrible message to send.

Just so, having a person in a place of authority when that person believes that certain humans deserve more rights than other humans is going to be bad for PR.  It should be bad for PR.  What happened with Eich is precisely what I believe should have happened.  They shouldn't have people in charge who are opponents of equality.  The society I believe we should create is one where all people are treated equally.  So those who feel that inequality should exist, such as Eich, should not be promoted.  They should not be lauded and given authority over other people.  They should be ostracized and their beliefs should be exposed for the bigotry that they are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that