Skip to main content

Turn your head and cough

So, embarrassing things happen at the doctor's office.  Sometimes the doctor needs to examine private parts of your body.  Sometimes the tests he does feel quite invasive.  I know that when I was younger, I was always embarrassed.  I still vividly remember the first time I was asked to take my pants off at the doctor's office (when he wanted to check for a hernia).  My mom was in the exam room with me.  The doctor said to pull my pants down.  I looked over my shoulder at my mom with the look of "Should I really do it?"

I believe part of the reason for this embarrassment was because I was raised to believe that parts of the body are embarrassing.  That my body is something I should be ashamed of showing off.  I was always scared to change in public locker rooms--at public swimming pools and my school gym classes.  I was mortified that I had to shower in public in middle school.

But my outlook on modesty and on my own body has changed over the last few years.  I have learned it is psychologically beneficial for children to be raised with the mentality that nudity is acceptable.  That there is nothing wrong with the human body--even the parts of it that we typically call "private".  Understanding that there is nothing to be ashamed of, no reason to be embarrassed about others seeing parts of your body.

I recently went to my doctor's office.  He stuck a device up my butt.  I was kneeling there with my bottom exposed for quite a while as he did the procedure.  One thing that stuck out to me was that I wasn't embarrassed in the slightest.  I didn't mind him seeing my bare bottom.  I didn't mind him sticking things in it.  There wasn't any shame or embarrassment.  I didn't feel violated or indecently exposed.  It felt just as natural as him looking in my mouth or my ear.  I have definitely changed a lot since my days of being conservative.

I think one of the common arguments in favor of modesty is that nudity or revealing clothing is too erotic and will cause people (usually men) to have sexual thoughts and desires.  That certain human bodies are attractive to certain people I will not deny.  Thus, there is truth in this argument.  But when carried to its extreme, the argument essentially asserts that the person having the sexual thoughts is incapable of controlling them.  And so I think there should be a shift in emphasis.  We shouldn't claim that the way a person dresses forces someone else to have uncontrollable urges that ey must satisfy.  We should claim that each person is responsible for eir own actions, even when ey see things (or people) that may be tempting.

I personally don't have any problem controlling myself when I see someone that I feel is attractive.  I've never had a problem.  I've never wanted to rape anyone.  I've never felt an uncontrollable urge to make unwanted advances on someone simply because they were wearing clothing that showed more of their body than a business suit would cover.  And I have found, in my own experience, that as a general rule, people who are more open about nudity are more likely to be able to control themselves and those who believe more strongly that immodesty is always bad have a more difficult time controlling their feelings when they're around it.

Essentially what I'm saying is, if you want to be able to see someone wearing little clothing and not have an overwhelming urge to touch the person inappropriately, then you should be around immodestly dressed people more often.  Get comfortable with it.  I would be far more comfortable walking around naked at a clothing optional resort for gay men than in front of a closeted conservative christian gay man.  At the resort, I may get some attention, but I'm much less worried about being harassed or molested.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that