Skip to main content

Amazing Gays

On any given night, there are almost 2 million youth in the United States who do not have a home to sleep in.   Roughly 40% of those youth are LGBT, most of them kicked out of their homes by their parents for being gay.  These are statistics that I learned today when I attended a training meeting for a local homeless shelter, Lost N Found (also their Facebook Page).  Learning about this pulls at my heartstrings.  It is so sad to me that there are people who are sleeping in or behind dumpsters, in curbs, wherever they can find shelter from the often unpleasant weather.  I feel so privileged to have a home to live in, a bed to sleep in, and food to eat.  

I have known about this organization (Lost N Found) for a few months now--in fact, I heard about them shortly after I moved to Atlanta.  I have felt many times "I need to do something with them.  I need to get involved."  But haven't.  I did give them some money when I saw their booth at the Pride Festival in October, and I attended their fundraiser at a local bar last month.  But I haven't ever done anything to help out.  Until now.  I'm done being lazy and postponing.  I need to act.  And so I did.  Today I attended an informational meeting about the organization, in order to become a volunteer.

They said that based on statistics, they project that Atlanta has on any given night somewhere around 800 homeless LGBT youth.  I want to do all that I can to help them out.  I want to volunteer.  And I will.  When I went to the meeting today, I gained renewed resolve to help out.  I know that this is something I want to participate in.  I want to help out people who don't have a place to go, or a parental figure to look up to.  

There will be many training meetings that I will attend.  I'm excited to learn about the different ways I can help, and the things that I need to know to work well with the youth and with the program overall.  I want to make a difference in the world around me.  I want to know that I've left the community a better place than I found it.  

I've never really felt lost in my life.  Sure, I've felt like I didn't fit in from time to time.  When I'm at a party, I often don't know how to jump in the conversation.  I don't feel part of the partying.  And other similar times like that, I just feel kind of left out, but I think that's fairly minor.  I haven't ever felt really lost, or out of place--not deeply.  But I have often felt "found".  I have had several moments in my life where I've sort of had an epiphany of belonging--that I've felt like I know my "calling" in life.  And this is one of them.  I feel like I belong as a volunteer in this organization.

I blog about this because I want to raise awareness.  I want people to know how serious the problem of homelessness is in our society.  I want people to think about it and talk about it and do something about it.  Look around you and see if there is some help that you can give, some care that you can offer.  Some kindness that you can extend.  

Popular posts from this blog

What's a gainer?

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest reading my previous post before reading this one.  It's sort of an introduction and gives the motivation.  Also, by way of disclosure, this post is not sexually explicit but it does touch on the topic of sexuality and how that relates to the subject at hand.

So, what is a gainer?  I'll relate, as best I can, the experiences I have gone through myself to help answer the question.  I remember when I was a young boy--perhaps around 6 or 7--I would have various fantasies.  Not sexual fantasies, just daydreaming about hypothetical situations that I thought were interesting or entertaining.  I had many different fantasies.  Sometimes I would fantasize about becoming very muscular, sometimes about becoming very fat.  
These fantasies varied in degree of magnitude and the subject of the fantasy.  Sometimes I myself would change weight--I would become muscular or fat.  Other times, I would do something to make other people fat or musc…

The scientific method vs the religious method

I find it interesting when people cite the fact that science keeps changing as a reason to disbelieve it and to believe instead in the "eternal" doctrines taught by some church or other.  Let's examine why science keeps changing.  Here's the scientific method.

Develop a hypothesis (this means "have a belief").Design an experiment to test the hypothesis.Conduct the experiment.Determine whether the hypothesis is believable based on the results of the experiment. This is why science keeps changing--because people notice flaws in it and correct them.  People once thought the solar system was geocentric, but now know that it's heliocentric.  How did this happen?  By using the scientific method.  Scientists are willing to admit that they're wrong.  They're willing to give up a bad idea when they see evidence that it makes no sense.  Contrast this with the religious method (simplified version). Have a belief.Look for evidence to support that belief.Ignor…

Gymtimidation

Like many of my posts, this one has been floating around in my mind for a couple months.  I know many people avoid the gym because it is intimidating, so I'd like to share my thoughts about this phenomenon.  First of all, obviously going to the gym isn't the only intimidating thing in life, and many of these thoughts are things that easily translate to any other of these intimidating things.

So I'd like to share some of my personal experiences with gyms.  The first time I recall ever going into a weight room to use it was my first year of college.  I had PE classes all through K-12, but I don't remember ever using the weight room--just group sports, etc.  I recall being intimidated by all the machines.  Some of them I could figure out on my own, but many of them I just stared at and couldn't possibly conceive how it was meant to be used.  Fortunately, I occasionally went with friends and one friend was very familiar with all the equipment so he could help.  So, kn…