Skip to main content

We are not Homeless

I went to the ghetto food court in the ghetto mall near where I work.  It was ghetto.  While I was sitting there, eating my food, a man came up to me and said he was homeless and that he hadn't eaten anything today and begged me to buy him a lunch.

I didn't know what to do.  I sort of froze.  I could have bought him a lunch.  Perhaps I should have.  One memory that almost instantly popped into my head was a similar time when Conrad and I first met, and a guy asked him to buy his lunch.  Conrad gladly did so.  Apparently this man often begged for lunches near this establishment, and the workers knew him.  They were upset at the guy for doing it, and they told Conrad he didn't have to buy the guy lunch.  Conrad said he didn't mind.

So, one of the thoughts that came into my head was that the owner of the establishment probably didn't like guys begging for meals inside his own restaurant.  I didn't want to encourage that sort of behavior, so I felt that I shouldn't buy this man lunch.

On the other hand, I can't bear the thought of someone going hungry.  It is literally painful to me to think about.  I don't like it.  I didn't want that man to go hungry.  I felt an obligation to buy him lunch.

I didn't buy him lunch.  I just kind of had an awkward look on my face and didn't really say anything until he gave up and walked away.  It was extremely uncomfortable for me.

I've thought about it much since that day, which was a few days ago.  I do not feel an obligation to correct all of the things which are wrong or unjust in this world, but I do feel an obligation to correct my share of them.  Not just problems that I personally may have caused, but a portion of the problems which are solvable with the extra income that I earn, which is above my living expenses.

I still don't know what would be the best way to react in the situation I found myself the other day.  I really don't.  I know that there are some programs out there to help homeless people and others who are struggling to put food on their tables.  I don't know very much about those programs, how accessible they are, or how well they satisfy the needs that are out there.  I have been meaning to learn more about that, but just haven't yet, out of laziness.

But there is one thing that I know for sure.  I have more than I need.  My income is more than sufficient to pay for my living expenses, plus Conrad's, and that's including double costs since I have a house and an apartment now.  I don't need all of the money that I earn.  But there are people who do need that money.  There are people who can't afford clothing, shelter, or food for themselves or their dependents.  There are people who do not have even the most basic of life's necessities.  I cannot live my life in good conscience knowing that there are so many lacking basic needs without doing something to ease their burden.

I can donate my money to organizations fighting poverty and hunger.  I can look into volunteer opportunities and see if there are any times that volunteers are needed that fit into my schedule.  I can educate myself on the efforts that are being made, here locally and globally as well.  And I can blog about it and hope that some of my readers are inspired to do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that