Skip to main content

Disagreeability

A friend that I hadn't seen in a while came through town the other day, and I went to dinner with him.  He's a Christian.  He believes in God.  He believes the Bible.  He's one of the Christian friends I have who hasn't defriended me on Facebook for being a vocal atheist (and even anti-theist on many occasions).  One thing he said to me was that it's good to be able to disagree with people.

His attitude toward me and my irreligiosity was unusual and even a bit disarming.  I'm very accustomed to one of two different responses from people: either a bitter fight or and end of communication altogether (in many cases, both responses happen, in the order listed).  But he (and, admittedly, many other of my Christian friends) did not react this way.  The conversation we had was very good for me.  Rather than viewing religious people as opponents, which on occasion I do, I can view them as providing a different perspective in life.

He said that he actually enjoys my posts, that Christianity deserves a lot of the criticism that it gets.  It's so comforting to hear a Christian admit that.  It's such a wave of hope and delight.  I was actually astonished when he made that remark.  But very glad that he did.  Vindicated is the word I'm looking for.  It helped me feel that not all of my ramblings are just blowing hot air and venting frustrations, but that there actually is substance to some of it.

It's good to often re-evaluate what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.  I find that when a Christian is offended and fights aggressively with me, my reaction is to become even more polarized.  As an example, suppose that I posted something which criticizes the church for being anti-gay.  When a Christian fights with me about it, I want to list other things that make me hate the church, and talk about how evil it is.  But when a Christian behaves the way this particular friend did, I am more likely to apologize for things that I've said out of turn, or for not being as polite as I could have been.

Just today I had a Christian friend ask me why I had made a certain anti-Christian post that I made recently on Facebook.  I've been thinking about it quite a bit.  The truth is I really don't know.  I mean, there isn't any one particular reason.  Most superficially, I post those kinds of things because I see them in my newsfeed and like them, so I share them on my own wall.  I share them because that expresses how I feel.  I share them because I want to hear what my friends think about it.  I share them because I want to get people to think critically about their beliefs.  I really can't say why.  Perhaps there are deeper reasons that I'm unaware of--subconscious reasons, or psychological reasons which are buried deep inside me.  I don't know.

But I do know that I want to be able to disagree with people.  I want be friends with people simply because we get along and have fun together.  I don't want to cut someone out of my life because they have different opinions about politics, religion, fashion sense, or sports.  I don't want to give people ulitmata of the nature "stop believing ______ or I'll never talk to you again".  That would be irrational, and heartless.  I want to be able to disagree with people.  And even to have arguments, without damaging our relationship.  I want to be kind and courteous even when I am of a different opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that