Skip to main content

The path of the righteous

He knows his way in the dark
Mine is the way of the Lord
And those who follow the path of the righteous
Shall have their reward
This is an excerpt from the song "Stars" from the musical Les Misérables.   It is the inspector Javert singing about Jean Valjean, whom he has been chasing ever since he broke his parole.  Valjean robbed a house, and due to a series of attempted escapes, ended serving nearly 20 years in prison before he was offered parole.  He broke parole and became a very successful businessman and mayor of a town.

Each man felt that what he was doing was good.  Javert felt that his duty to the law was righteous, and that anyone who broke the law was wicked.  Valjean felt that he was doing the right thing by providing food for his starving family, even if that meant steal from someone else.  He also felt he was doing the right thing by being a benevolent and respected mayor.

While this is fictional, it teaches many lessons about life.  One that I would like to point out is how one's personal convictions can be used in different ways.  Monseigneur Bienvenue provided stark contrast with Javert.  Bienvenue was a very benevolent and humble bishop.  He felt that the best way for him to serve the Lord was to give all that he had to those who were in need.  His service was all personal.  He didn't feel any need to impose such rules on other people (aside from the women who lived with him).  He did what he personally felt was best.

Javert's method of serving God was ensuring that all people obeyed the law strictly, and that any infringement upon the law was punished.  He believed this so strongly that at one point, he went to Valjean to insist that he be disciplined for secretly reporting the mayor as Valjean (he had received an erroneous letter from Paris informing him that Valjean had been captured, and therefore believed that the mayor was not Valjean).  He made it his business not just to obey the law himself, but to enforce the law upon everyone else.  He was not satisfied with anything less than the full punishment for any crime.

At any rate, the point is that human nature makes us feel like we are doing the right thing, regardless of what it is we're doing.  Also, that our opinions are correct, and anyone who disagrees must be wrong.  This is just the way our brains work.  And it's something that we should be aware of, and try to handle with care.  Valjean felt that he was justified in taking bread from someone else because his own family was starving.  Perhaps he was justified.  Perhaps not.  But he felt that he was.  Certainly, I think that we as a race should try to build a world where no one has to worry about basic needs, such as food and shelter.

Javert felt that he was justified in pursuing Valjean at every turn, for years and years.  He felt that justice must be served and that Valjean was an evil man who needed to be punished.  He knew that he was doing what God wanted him to do.

And I see this same thing with people now.  In Russia, it has been made a crime to be gay and to talk about being gay.  This has been done by people who feel that they are simply doing what is best for their country, trying to make Russia a more moral place by preventing youth from being converted by gay adults.  But they feel that they are doing what is right.  They feel that this is a good thing.  In some parts of the world, being gay is punishable by death.  And gay people are put to death on a regular basis.  This is the result of people feeling like they are doing what is right, and that anyone who opposes them is necessarily wrong or evil.

We need more people who admit that they don't know what's best for other people.  I know that religion is not for me. But I don't think that I should make other people stop being religious just because I don't want to be.  I don't like coffee or beer, but that doesn't mean that I should pass laws making it illegal for other people to drink those drinks.  I think that it would be good to adopt this philosophy in more ways.

Popular posts from this blog

What's a gainer?

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest reading my previous post before reading this one.  It's sort of an introduction and gives the motivation.  Also, by way of disclosure, this post is not sexually explicit but it does touch on the topic of sexuality and how that relates to the subject at hand.

So, what is a gainer?  I'll relate, as best I can, the experiences I have gone through myself to help answer the question.  I remember when I was a young boy--perhaps around 6 or 7--I would have various fantasies.  Not sexual fantasies, just daydreaming about hypothetical situations that I thought were interesting or entertaining.  I had many different fantasies.  Sometimes I would fantasize about becoming very muscular, sometimes about becoming very fat.  
These fantasies varied in degree of magnitude and the subject of the fantasy.  Sometimes I myself would change weight--I would become muscular or fat.  Other times, I would do something to make other people fat or musc…

The scientific method vs the religious method

I find it interesting when people cite the fact that science keeps changing as a reason to disbelieve it and to believe instead in the "eternal" doctrines taught by some church or other.  Let's examine why science keeps changing.  Here's the scientific method.

Develop a hypothesis (this means "have a belief").Design an experiment to test the hypothesis.Conduct the experiment.Determine whether the hypothesis is believable based on the results of the experiment. This is why science keeps changing--because people notice flaws in it and correct them.  People once thought the solar system was geocentric, but now know that it's heliocentric.  How did this happen?  By using the scientific method.  Scientists are willing to admit that they're wrong.  They're willing to give up a bad idea when they see evidence that it makes no sense.  Contrast this with the religious method (simplified version). Have a belief.Look for evidence to support that belief.Ignor…

Gymtimidation

Like many of my posts, this one has been floating around in my mind for a couple months.  I know many people avoid the gym because it is intimidating, so I'd like to share my thoughts about this phenomenon.  First of all, obviously going to the gym isn't the only intimidating thing in life, and many of these thoughts are things that easily translate to any other of these intimidating things.

So I'd like to share some of my personal experiences with gyms.  The first time I recall ever going into a weight room to use it was my first year of college.  I had PE classes all through K-12, but I don't remember ever using the weight room--just group sports, etc.  I recall being intimidated by all the machines.  Some of them I could figure out on my own, but many of them I just stared at and couldn't possibly conceive how it was meant to be used.  Fortunately, I occasionally went with friends and one friend was very familiar with all the equipment so he could help.  So, kn…