Skip to main content

There were never such devoted sisters

It's been a while since I've listened to church dogma.  Almost two years.  Yes, I've had a few family members email me things like "We're praying for you" and stuff like that, but nothing really all that intense.  Nothing like a Sunday School lesson.

The sister missionaries in my ward have been coming over lately.  They dropped by around the time Conrad had his name removed from the church's records and have come over multiple times since we had a (female) roommate move in with us.

The last time they came, which was a few days ago, and today when they came, I couldn't help but realize how much my attitude toward religious teachings has changed.  At this point in time, it seems no more to me than utter and complete nonsense.  And it leaves me baffled.  I look at these two women, and they are intelligent and respectable women.  They are clearly sane and are well-adjusted to society. And yet the things that come out of their mouths are so utterly ridiculous.

One example was something that they said the other day when they came was that thing about how God answers prayers in many different ways.  That sometimes he says yes, sometimes he says no, and sometimes he just makes you wait.  How is this an indication that god answers prayers?  This is no different from the placebo effect.  If you are sick and you take a placebo, rather than the actual medicine, sometimes you will get better, sometimes you will stay the same, and sometimes you will get worse.  That's just the way it goes.  And taking the pill itself has absolutely zero effect on the outcome.  To me, this is completely obvious.  It is glaringly obvious.  How can anyone actually believe that a priesthood blessing of healing actually has an effect on the person being blessed?  It is no more effective than taking a sugar pill.

As I was listening to the sisters today, I didn't really hear the message they were sharing.  I just heard "we believe in fairy tales".  It just eludes me how they can devote a year and a half of their life to something so childish and nonsensical.  And that they can sit down and seriously relate these ideas and stories to someone and expect them to be taken earnestly.  I simply don't understand.

If I were to go door to door and tell people of the good news of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the only people who would listen to me are those who have been diagnosed as mentally insane.  I would not be able to get a sane person to buy into such a silly tale.  And yet every day sane and mentally stable people relate such silly tales to each other, and take them seriously.  They talk of how muttering some words under their breath helped them locate their car keys, or how putting a drop of oil on someone's head healed their broken femur.  To me, there is no difference between these kinds of stories and the claim that the FSM gave me a free bowl of ramen every day of my freshman year of college when I would praise his saucy meatballs.

That's really how I see Christianity now.  It's weird to see so many grown people take it seriously.  It's weird to see some universities require belief in god in order to apply for employment.  I can't wrap my mind around how an institution of higher education wants only people who believe in such ridiculous nonsense to educate its students.  That makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

The sisters have said that they will be returning next Wednesday.  I am always kind and welcoming of people who visit my home.  I am also honest, and I will not hesitate to share my feelings with them as often as they are asked for.  They have given me no reason to be unkind to them, nor do I expect them to.  So I will be gracious, as I am toward all people.  And part of that graciousness is informing them of my true thoughts and feelings, which I have done and will continue to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that